xix. and to think we almost had it all

Start from the beginning

Liv was the first to notice his patched up eye, remembering back to the thing Five used to roll around his hands. She called attention to it, "Five, look. His eye. How much do you want to bet that it isn't there anymore."

Five approached the body, pulling the eye out of his pocket. He pulled back the patch over the man's eye, the only thing left being a gaping hole. He forced the eye into the socket, looking at it, then back to the others.

"Same eye color, same pupil size. Guys this is it. The eye I've been carrying around for decades, it- It's found its rightful home."

"We got the guy we needed to kill to stop the apocalypse."

"Yay!" Klaus celebrated, "Let's go."

Klaus began leaving the room before Five stopped him, "No, no. Wait, wait. It can't be this easy. Look, this is the note that I got from the Commission. The one that says 'Protect Harold Jenkins', aka Leonard Peabody. But who killed him? Who did this?"

Liv looked down at the body, realization hitting her, "Vanya. It has to be Vanya."

"Vanya doesn't have powers," Five explained.

"I know, but so what? No one in the Commission would have done this, no sane person would either. So unless it was one of us, it was her."

"Why don't we just find Vanya and ask her?" Klaus suggested.

"If she isn't here she must be headed back to the Academy."

***

The four searched the entire house, high and low, searching for Vanya. She was nowhere to be found. That was what worried them the most. If she wasn't here, where was she?

"No sign of Vanya."

"She's not in any of the rooms," Diego said.

"She's not downstairs either."

"Maybe she is at her apartment? We could try there next."

Diego patted Klaus on the shoulder, "Well I'm out."

"Where are you going?" Five asked as Diego started to walk away. "Vanya's still out there, and so are Hazel and Cha-Cha."

"I know. I'm gonna get my things and then I'm outta here. I got some unfinished business with those fools."

Diego began to walk down the stairs, in his gruff, about-to-murder-three-people way.

Five turned towards Klaus, "Hey, did Dad say anything about the apocalypse when you spoke to him? Any clues on to how it happened?"

"No. No clues. Truly terrific shave. But no clues."

Five scoffed in response, "Jeez," and began to walk down the main staircase.

Klaus and Liv filled after him, "You know, come to think of it, he did mention something about my potential, and how I've barely even scratched the surface of my-"

"How did he know about the apocalypse?"

Liv listed off possibilities in rapid succession as Klaus continued to rant, "Uh- maybe he can predict the future. Maybe he is your real father and time-travel is a hereditary trait. What if he is one of those end of the world predictors and he just happened to get it right?"

Five turned to her, "I think I would know if he could time-travel."

"This whole jumping through time thing of yours, how did.. How did you know how to do that?"

"I didn't. You would know that if you were sober."

"Hey, I am sober. I've been sober for two- almost two days now."