6. On a Dark Desert Highway

At the beginning of the Teen Wolf episode this chapter is based on (3 x 06 Motel California) there's a warning message that the episode deals with some heavy subject matter. Because this chapter follows the same plot, I'll give you that same warning. This chapter deals with suicide. If you need to skip this chapter please do so. I completely understand and I want all of you to be comfortable reading this fic!

 I completely understand and I want all of you to be comfortable reading this fic!

"I don't wanna go in there."

This place was evil. Cody could feel it. 

Coach was telling them to pair up and pick rooms, but Cody was rooted to the spot.

"I don't like this place," said Lydia, who had taken a firm stance next to Cody. 

"The people who own this place don't like it," said Allison. "Come on, it's just one night."

Lydia looked over at Cody, and for the first time, they seemed to be in agreement. 

Lydia's voice shook. "A lot could happen in a night."

***

Cody stood next to Boyd at the vending machine, waiting for him to make his selection. She wasn't feeling particularly hungry, but she had to get out of the room and away from Lydia and Allison. Her head was pounding. Stiles made his way over and stood next to the two of them. He looked from Boyd's blank stare to Cody. 

"What's wrong with him?" Stiles whispered. Cody shrugged. 

They watched as Boyd made his selection and it got stuck in the machine.

"Oh, don't worry," said Stiles. "I got a patented method for this." 

He reached up and took hold of the side of the vending machine, prepared to shake it.

"Oh, Stiles, don't-"

Cody didn't even get a chance to finish her sentence. In one quick strike, Boyd punched the glass and it shattered all over their feet. They watched as Boyd reached out, not looking at either of them, and took the snack. He walked away and Cody and Stiles watched him. Once he was out of earshot Stiles turned to Cody.

"What the hell just happened?" Stiles asked. 

Cody shook her head. "I have no idea." 

Stiles looked from her to the vending machine and then started pulling out snacks. He offered one to Cody, who shook her head. 

"What's wrong with you?" he asked.

Cody looked out over the empty parking lot. "Just don't like it here."

"Oh, yeah, I know," said Stiles, opening a bag of chips. "This place is nasty. But hey, it's just for a night. Come hang out if you get bored later."

"Okay," said Cody. Her voice was hollow sounding, empty. She felt her stomach twist into a knot. She took one last look at the parking lot, winced at the flickering neon lights that were making her headache worse, and started walking back to her room.