Chapter Seven

Mulai dari awal

Damn. Aden was trying to get up but, fell. Fortunately he was only groaning and not swearing.

She kneeled down next to him, "Here have this. It'll minimise the pain."
"Is it poison because only death could relief me now."
"It's milk. Come on Aden. I'm trying to help you. Take it." She pleaded.
"You should pour it in my eyes." He said.
"Okay. On the count of three. One, two, three."

Ten minutes later.

"I'm really sorry. I had no idea it was you," Aïda said, "You were supposed to be in England. What are you doing here anyway?"
Aden chose to ignore that question, "Why did you spray me?"
"Isn't it obvious? I thought you were an intruder."

Silence for about a minute.

"Are you on any danger? Be truthful, Aïda."
It was her time to avoid the question, "Why would I lie? Maybe you forgot whilst living in the UK but, crime is always a problem in South Africa."

Aïda  could see that Aden seemed satisfied with that answer.

"Okay. I was at fault. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sorry."

It was not the time for 'I told you so's' so she just let it go.

"You can wash your face in the bathroom in my office. Here's the key. I'll show you the direction."
"Only after you." Aden retorted.
"Okay. Follow me."

Five minutes later Aden found her sitting at a table, staring at her broken phone. During the altercation her phone not only came apart but, the screen was completely shattered.

"Will you need the phone today?"
"I can manage without it at work. We have a landline."
"What about your private life? Your social life?" He softly asked.
Without thinking she anwered truthfully, "What social life? I haven't had one in years. Anyway, my friend knows Tuis Kombuis' landline number."

Aden couldn't help it. He lifted his left brow involuntarily, "What friend?"

Is he jealous?Wondered Aïda.

"Don't worry about my friends, okay. Erm...If you're looking for Burton, he's still in London."
"I'm not here for Burton. I was worried about  you." He stated.
"About me? Why?" Aïda asked.
"I left five message on fb and called you twenty times. You never once responded. I know you saw my messages"
"Oh! I was busy."
"Hmmm. Busy avoiding me."

Only her dark skin tone saved her from being beetroot red at that moment.

And damn she could not even talk. Aden was looking at her with those greyish blue eyes of his, through thick, long black lashes. Seemingly in deep thought. Seemingly...there was another look in his eyes. No. It must be her imagination. Surely he would not look at her in that way...

Nevertheless he looked so good. Not forgetting the smell of his expensive cologne mingled with his natural scent. It was intoxicating.

She abruptly broke eye contact.

"You should leave before the delivery people arrive. I don't want people to think things."
"I'm not afraid of other people's thoughts. I'm just curious about yours. Anyway, I'll leave once the staff arrive. I don't like the idea of you being alone so early in the morning."
"I'm used to being alone. I'll be fine."
"I'm not leaving before your staff arrive. That's final." Aden Stated.

Aïda started pouting unconsciously. To her embarrassment Aden started laughing, a deep hearty laugh. Inspite of herself, it brought a smile to her lips. A broad smile.

"Here you are smiling to yourself, while I died a thousand deaths, thinking something horrible happened to you." Zoë scolded her bestie a few hours later.
"Meaning?" Aïda asked somewhat perplexed.
"Why are you not answering your phone. I was so worried about you." Zoë continued with her scolding session.