Chapter 9- A priest and a lady

Start from the beginning

"Maybe, my lord, you are not as important as you think." She said, refusing to look at the irritating priest.

"Or maybe she didn't tell you everything and I am happy about that." he waited a heartbeat. "But she told you enough."

Something clicked on Jennifer's head, and she glanced back at him. "You knew I was listening..." she gulped.

"I knew..." he said, turning his head to the clear sky. The wind ruffled his hair and his cape. "I wished your mother wouldn't have involved you in her schemes... it is not fair."

"You knew since back then?" the question, whispered, was more for her. A way to assess the daunting realization in her brain.

She gripped her knees, seeing small leaves dropping from her hair to her lap. He tilted his head. "I knew of you listening, but not of your mother's ways. Though I should have... she made the tunnels for something. In my naivety, I hoped it was because of her unusual ways. The Borbello have tunnels all over their manor... Instead, she made use of her own daughter..."

"She didn't use me!" said Jennifer in fiery anger.

Emmanuel stopped and closed his eyes. "My apologies... wrong choice of words." he took long breaths while he waited for Jennifer to calm down. "Back then, I believed you spied on me and your father because of your concern for your sister. I still think that, in part, it was true. You are a Mountnero no matter what, and that cannot change. However, that was not all. And until recently, you had me fooled. Then your father told me, with bewildered pride, that you would be up for the High Priestess position. You knew... what your father didn't about the diamond."

Jennifer noticed a purple mist thickening around them. She scoffed at his words, avoiding saying anything that may bury her more. There was one thing, however, that concerned her. "Have you told father?"

"No."

"Why not? Are you that indulgent?" she was getting angrier by the minute, her nails piercing through her dress and almost causing pain on her poor knees.

"Your father wouldn't understand... He would blame your mother... He would become angry and now it is not the time to make him any angrier. It's never a good time, anyway." his body curved and his arms rested on his legs. There was an air of deep reflection on him as he looked over the mist.

"Father would never hurt me!" She got up, causing the chair to drag back with a loud noise.

He stared back at her. "Never. He loves you, girls, to passion." he agreed with a serious expression. "However, he would hurt other people."

"My lord... you are so kind." she mocked, a frosty smile gracing her lips.

"I try..." he said, his hands in his view. "Lady Jennifer, I didn't tell your father as well because I believe I can convince you to stop. It is for the best. Your pursuits can be dangerous for you and your sister. It could hurt you both..."

Her heart sank, and her hands shook in powerful tremors. "Don't you dare interfere! I won't have you stop me. And, my lord, don't worry about my sister. Nothing will happen to her." she said with a shaky voice. Only after controlling her chaotic breaths (and throwing her chair to him and failing to hit) did she speak again, in a more even tone. "Forget those ideas, my lord, and I will forget this talk."

Emmanuel looked at the fallen chair by his side and he sighed. "We talked enough already... I am truly sorry, lady Jennifer..." his eyes filled with tears that sparkled like falling stars. It caught her off guard to see his weakness, a truthful one, on such an open display. "I loved your girls' mothers very much... They were wonderful students... I saw what became of them... So I hope you girls live differently. A happier life." he cleared his eyes. "I hope you are free from all..."

She turned and left, her hands clenched. The mist had by now dissipated, taking away their conversation.

Mother had never told her about someone called Emmanuel. She did, however, speak about her favourite tutor, a man with a heart that was constantly stabbed by sadness and sorrow and whose tears resembled stars.

Freedom... There was no freedom for those with the Mountnero name. And there was even less in the Borbello family. Only destiny. And Jennifer would make it happen, no matter what and no matter who stood her way.

She would kill for that.

So what did you think? Hope you liked it

So what did you think? Hope you liked it. I had fun writing Emmanuel and Jenni's exchange.

Emmanuel knew about her spying!! The first time being caught made Jenni angry XD

Also, what do you think is the destiny of the Borbello family?