"So let me get this straight. She told you he has to be married to you in order to take over the company, and there are people out there looking to harm them if that doesn't happen?" Xavier's elbows rested on his knees as he leaned slightly forward to listen to everything I said with the utmost concentration.

"Yeah, that's right," I replied, and he looked like he was deep in thought.

"Why leave me, princess? You could have just told me. We'd work something out," he said, confusion and concern evident from his tone.

"To protect you," I mumbled, but Xavier caught on immediately.

"Protect me from what?"

"Uh, remember when you got attacked, after our dinner?"

"Yeah. Wait, that was because of this?"

"I'm really sorry, Xavier. After that I was terrified. I didn't want them to hurt you, I just-why are you laughing?" I asked, my expression contorting in confusion as he laughed hysterically.

"Babygirl, I could have taken those fuckers down in a few minutes. The only thing that stopped me from moving was that bastard's knife on you," his face suddenly became dark, and his gaze zeroed on my arm.

"Well, if I wasn't with you then, you wouldn't be hurt. I know that," I said, and he sighed, sitting beside me, holding my exposed waist as he placed me on his lap.

"No, princess. It means I should have protected you. And I will," he answered simply, and I tilted my head.

"B-but, Xavier, you might get hurt."

"Babygirl, I fucking promise no one is touching us. Let me protect you, Valentina. Don't run away from me because you feel like you need to bear everything alone. Whatever happened in your past, left a scar on you, and you feel like you need to take the blame for everything happening. But you don't have to do that anymore, love. I'll protect both of us, trust me, sweetheart, the man you love is quite fucking strong," he smirked, raising his fist, and flexing a bicep, which would make me drool if the situation was normal.

"I just thought I had to make sure nothing happens to you," I said, and he smiled softly.

"You love me too much then, sweetheart?"

"More than you know, baby," I whispered, and he placed my head in the crook of his neck, holding me close.

"I know because I love you a bit more than that, love," he whispered, and I held onto his shirt with my palms as he rubbed soothing circles on my thigh.

"Spend tonight with me, baby. We'll have dinner and talk. About anything. I just don't think I'll be able to spend a single minute without you," Xavier insisted, and I blushed, nodding my head yes as his eyes sparkled again. 

He placed me down and grabbed his coat, before intertwining our hands and walking out the door. 

The elevator doors opened to reveal the glass separating the parking lot and the back of the ground floor. 

As we walked to the door, a group of people approached the parking lot door outside, and stopped, standing in a scattered circle. 

The one in the middle seemed extremely familiar, and I tugged onto Xavier.

"X-Xavier. They're the people from that night. T-the ones who hit you," I whispered, and recognition made its way on his face as well.

"L-let's go back up," I pulled onto his arm, but the man didn't even budge.