Chapter 2- Trip to the south

Start from the beginning

We reached the main entrance door and weeping servants were standing there, none daring to glance at me. I passed them and went outside through the open door. There, from the top of the marble stairs, I saw the carriage. Plain and sturdy. Far from the ostentation fashion of the Mountnero family. In grey tones, it had no family emblem or anything that could identify it.

It was just plain and sturdy. And I didn't like it. Not one bit.

I stood there, watching from above, getting questioning looks from Fanny. Yet I did not move and I wouldn't move, until I got the answer to my torments.

"Where is the Duke?"I asked, going for a smile. Though from Fanny's face I was not sure it worked that well.

She looked at me with kindness but she said nothing, and my body grew impatient. I hate it. All of it.

Where is that bloody Duke??

Fanny looked around, fixing her eyes on the carriage below. It seemed, she too was having a hard time, so I clutched her arm for support. She moved back to me and put a hand on mine. "I understand, my lady... you are missing the lord." way off the mark Fanny... way off. 

"Father won't be joining us." Jenni's detached voice made me and Fanny turn to the entrance door.

Her face was of pure discontentment and she did not try to hide it. Nevertheless, she came to my side and took my hand. Jenni's eyes were far away from mine, stuck on that damned carriage. We were soon joined by Emmanuel, who gently pushed us to move forward.

As we walked downstairs, hearing the cries of our people, I ventured a question to Jenni. "So when is Father joining us?"

Jenni clenched her jaw and yet her eyes continued fixed on the carriage. "Not sure... father is rather busy now... and on the foreseen future."

Most likely doing some "cleaning" somewhere...

I didn't say anything and just walked my way down, concentrating on the horses that would take us to Ae... someplace in the south. They were quite unusual. White and with a golden mane, that sparkled like gold. Quiet horses in a total of eight, they were the prettiest mares I ever saw (not that I saw many, but who cares...).

We finally settled on our carriage and took our seats. It was spacious inside, though the four guests were probably the right number of passengers. I sat side by side with Jenni and had Fanny as my front companion, who now seemed more excited than sad with our leaving. There was a fleeting moment of silence before the roaring noise of the horse hoves began to shake my ears.

That sound soon disappeared under the sad cries of the Mountnero servants. We waved at them, and I felt sadness at our goodbyes. Fanny especially became too emotional and had to choke a tear away. As I watched the big and ostentatious Mountnero palace getting far away, together with the piercing cries, I prepared myself mentally for the trip.

Not that one could prepare enough for such a gruesome experience. The Sun Empire was an enormous country and a trip to the south could take weeks or even months, depending on how far south and how were the roads to get there. And the thought of my poor bum seating all the way down to the south on a carriage was making me headaches, and maybe soon murderous thoughts on a too happy priest...

However, with the passage of time, I felt no discomfort. I started, then, to take notice of the outside world. To my surprise, we were travelling fast, very fast. Way too fast. In my confusion, I looked from my window to the opposite one, focusing on Emmanuel at last. He had a smile on his face as he turned his eyes from his window to me. A smile I could only describe as proud.