House of Kings/House of Ceilings

"Hurry up, Jerome!" Alfie exclaimed.

"Well, maybe if you helped me find out where this piece is hidden, we could find it faster!" Jerome yelled back, all of them under pressure from the ceiling coming down.

They all looked around the thrift sphinx from the right, but couldn't see where the tablet piece was hidden.

"I really don't want to die!" Alfie panicked.

"Shut up, Alfie!" both Jerome and Amber exclaimed.

~~~~~
Patricia, Fabian, and Joy's riddle read:

"High in the chamber of the Great Pyramid,
Where one is meant to rest but rests none,
Relieve the king of his burdens,
Make the accursed unrest done,
Speak and you shall have spoken,
That he shall not be a forgotten one."

It took them to a small chamber made of limestone and pink granite from the floor, to the ceiling, to the walls. In the center of the room was a sarcophagus made of red granite that lacked a lid and an actual body.

"Now that we're here, it's Fabian's cue to give us the boring information," Patricia initiated.

Fabian made a fake laugh and proceeded with his informative historical moment. "This is the burial chamber of King Khufu, a king of ancient Egypt. This chamber was constructed out of tons of masonry in the Great Pyramid, or Pyramid of Giza, to be his burial chamber. The only problem was, his body was never in the sarcophagus. That sarcophagus. And the lid is missing, suggesting his mummified body was either stolen...or he was never buried there. Based on Ancient Egyptian beliefs, since his body is missing and is not in its rightful place, he is doomed to illegitimate rest until he is set free in his rest, or in some cases, unrest."

"How do we do that?" Joy asked after a moment of silence in the room.

"Well, the riddle says we have to speak something, so maybe there's writing somewhere, or-"

"-there's writing here," Patricia pointed, finding hieroglyphics on the side of the sarcophagus. "Fabian, use your nerd powers."

Fabian just let out a sigh and knelt down. He studied the hieroglyphics long and hard before he said, "I can't read it."

"What?" Joy asked.

Fabian stood up. "I know hieroglyphics, but I'm not fluent."

"Well, then let's try something," Patricia suggested. "It's not like it has to be a specific thing; or in this case, I hope. We just say something, oh great Anubis, find King Khuzu's-"

"-Khufu," Fabian corrected.

"Khufu's soul and grant him a, um...an amazing death in the afterlife...Thanks...And give us the piece to the emerald tablet while you're at it."

Fabian, Patricia, and Joy stood still, waiting for anything to happen, but nothing did. It was expected since Patricia made up everything she just said.

When they'd given up on that hope, something actually began happening. Dust crumbled down from the roof and them the entire room began shaking.

"We have to get out of here," Fabian instructed. Him and Patricia turned towards the doorway.

"No, wait," Joy said. She spotted one of the stones sliding out of the wall. She went towards it.

"Joy!" Fabian yelled.

Joy pulled the stone out, realizing it was a little chamber of its own, concealing the piece to the emerald tablet.

"Joy!" Patricia now exclaimed, her and Fabian waiting outside the chamber.

Joy hurried out the trembling room, holding the piece in her hand. She held it up, and as she showed Fabian and Patricia, the portal opened up.

"That was risky," Fabian told Joy.

"I still got the piece, didn't I?" Joy retaliated.

The three of them stepped through the portal.

~~~~~
Jerome, Alfie, and Amber were already down on their knees as the wall continued to descend. The heads of the sphinx statues had been destroyed and crushed under the weight of the ceiling already.

"If this doesn't end well, I'm blaming you, Alfie!" Amber exclaimed.

"It's always me!" Alfie complained.

Amber noticed something on the paw of the left statue. It seemed as though it was a separate entity from the rest of the statue. As though it'd be able to be pulled apart. She tried to do so and felt that it was lose. When it finally came out, she saw that the paw was hollow and the emerald tablet piece was inside. She pulled it out and stuck the paw back in its place.

The ceiling stopped and began going back up. Jerome, Amber, and Alfie made sighs of relief.

When they stood up, Jerome and Amber gave eachother a hug.

"Doesn't Alfie get a hug?" Alfie asked in third person.

"Don't forget you pushed us down in water and made us soaking wet, and I've already plotted your death," Amber glared.

"Hugs are overrated anyway." Alfie shrank back.

The portal opened up from the emerald tablet piece and the three of them stepped through.

~~~~~
Hope you Aristocrats enjoyed this chapter! I am officially on spring break from classes, so many more uploads will be coming your way!

Anyway...

How was this chapter? Did you enjoy it?

There's only one piece left to find! Do you think this is a good or bad thing?