Eli paused, like what he was about to say he didn't like in the slightest but still had to say, regardless.

"A reporter from People Magazine wants to do a cover story with me and my family, especially Elodie.  You'd be there, too, of course, because that's part of the story, even if they don't know it yet.  It would be about what happened and why I did it."

Matthew was eerily silent, still, unmoving, I doubted he even breathed.  He didn't like publicity from what I could gather of his private life devoid of a social media presence, so this was probably his idea of hell. 

"And Elodie is okay with this?  You using her for this story?  You know they're going to ask why you were so desperate to stay close to her, desperate enough to screw over your best friend."

"I know, but I've thought about that.  They court case, the restraining order, us adopting her, it's all out there already.  I don't have to say what happened to her outright since it's already implied."

"That may be true, but that's not what I asked.  I asked if you told your sister this and if she's okay with it."

"Jesus man, I thought you'd be happy.  I was going to tell her today, I just found out last night.  Obviously if she doesn't want to do it, she doesn't have to, but the story will still go forward, and it's not like I'm telling the world something they don't already know.  Her father was dangerous and I wanted to stay close to make sure she wasn't hurt.  I'm planning on talking about what I went through, too, so that I can put it in perspective."

Matthew blew out a breath of air noisily and directed them further out of the bedroom but Eli didn't move, his shadow perfectly still.

"Well, if Elodie is okay with it then I can't really say no considering it would help my image and clear my name.  I have a meeting in three weeks with the coach and the staff, probably the board, I think they even said the owner was going to be there virtually, too.  Whatever's happening, it's huge."

"Damn, I didn't know they were going all out for this.  Well, the article is supposed to come out in their virtual magazine two days after the interviews and photoshoots, so it's a good thing it'll all happen before your meeting."

"When is the interview?  And did you say photoshoots?  I don't have to wear a three piece suit or anything, do I?"

"Nah, just casual.  I think we're doing some picnic setting for the shoot, making us look normal.  Honestly, I feel like they wanted to do this because of how well V's music has been doing in the charts and on all the streaming platforms compared to her start.  They're saying she's solidifying herself in the industry while it feels like I could just burn out at any minute in my own...it's kind of intimidating having a wife who's way more famous than me, especially with all the crazy stalkers she's gotten from all of this..."

"Well, if anyone can handle crazy stalkers, it's you."

"And you, man.  Did you forget when you beat up that asshole when Elodie was a senior because he tried spreading rumors about her?  Dude was barely eighteen and you put him in his place before I could even do anything."

What?  Matthew had beaten up a guy who'd given me trouble back in high school?  And it had been recent, or recent-ish, considering the last guy who gave me trouble was over a year and a half ago, right around when I started dating Ben. 

"That was nothing.  He was a piece of shit."

"He was, but don't sell yourself short.  You can handle crazies with the best of them.  Sometimes I wish..." Eli trailed off, not wanting to finish his sentence, but Matthew was quick to follow up.