Twenty Six

Silence clung around the walls of the commanders office, yet my ears still burned

"Lieutenant, does this belong to you?" There was a certain level of sternness missing from the commanders tone, replaced with curiosity.

"No, Sir." Axels voice was pure fear.

"A pregnancy test." The commander commented, slowly I raised my eyes to meet his. "And why would you need a pregnancy test in a bootcamp detention where conjugal visits are not allowed?"

"Maybe you should tell your officers that." I spat back. The commander stood up, towering over me and leaned across the table.

"Are you telling me, my officers are responsible for that?" He pointed to the pregnancy test with his eyes and I smirked.

"No, Mc'Holls up the road is responsible for that. The baby however," I patted my stomach "that's from one of your officers."

"Williams!" Axel shouted in his Lieutenant voice. Our eyes snapped to him. "Do not throw accusations around, that is a direct order."

"I bet it is." My smile grew.

The commander picked up the box and opened it out. His eyes floated over the instruction manual and then he handed the stick over to me.

"Through there." He pointed towards a door with two strong fingers. "No point believing there's a problem if there isn't a problem. Lieutenant watch her do it."

"I'm not peeing in front of him. Shouldn't I have a female nurse, if anything?"

"This issue doesn't leave this room Williams. Test, now." I clutched the test stick tightly in my hand and reluctantly moved towards the bathroom with Axel following behind. "Leave the door open!" The commander shouted.

I sat down on the toilet seat and looked at Axel, he folded his arms across his chest and had whole unapproachable manner. Like he didn't give a shit.

He had emotionally detached himself from the situation, if I was pregnant it was a problem. My problem. An issue as his father said. He wasn't laying that upon himself, that was on me.

I peed on the stick and then handed it to him aggressively, on the pee side. He winced and changed it over before washing his hands.

"What does it say?" The commander shouted impatiently.

"It needs time." Axel replied, studying the test like he was about to perform a bomb removal on it.

"Dumbass." I muttered under my breath.

Axel walked out with the stick and lay it on the desk. The two men hovered over it, watching carefully and I stood back, still in the doorway of the restroom.

"Pregnant." The commander said pointedly.

"Pregnant." Axel repeated slower and quieter, in disbelief.