Five

Of course I was only willing to let him take me back because I knew there were seven other escaped Bootcamp recruits sitting blissfully unaware at the back of the beer garden

He looked down at my arm and my heart sank when he grabbed it moving us away from the bar and back towards the bootcamp.

"I don't get it." I said as we moved down the dirt road. He huffed but then looked at me.

"I would ask what but I know you're going to tell me anyway, so why bother?" He complained in a bored tone.

"We're alone, nobody knows I'm out. I've not caused any trouble, not committed any crimes - tonight, not hurt anyone. Why does it matter if I don't get caught?" He stopped dead in the street and dropped his grip on my arm.

"That's the problem with you criminals, you think doing things wrong is fine as long as you don't get caught." He gritted his teeth, anger all over his face.

"If you hate criminals so much why do you work at helping better them? Judging by your attitude you believe there's no redemption and we all belong behind bars." He ran his index finger across his stubble and an unknown, never before seen expression crossed his face.

"I'm not discussing my private life with you." He finally pushed out. "You're too outspoken for your own good." He added, my eyebrows raised in question. "From here on out you're to become the idyllic solider. Posture straight, hard working in the field, boots shined, no eye contact and most importantly no back chat." He faced straight ahead, straightening himself and becoming more stiff, just as he was today on the field. Full of professionalism, without a trace of anger in sight.

"Your commander will have me arrested tonight so that won't be your concern." I uttered quietly.

I noted his eyes very quickly look at me from the side but only briefly.

"Unless of course you don't tell him." I added, pushing my luck.

"God, why is it that you think I will give you special treatment? You're not a diamond among the rocks."

The anger was back. It was clear he didn't like me, he couldn't control his emotions around me.

To everyone else he was a brick wall, an emotionless robot but whenever I was around he seemed to explode or walk off in a huff.

I didn't answer him, I was distracted by a roar of thunder breaking through the sky.

"Great." He muttered sarcastically as a heavy downpour hit our bodies. "This is your fault."

I laughed, genuinely laughed.

"How is the rain my fault?" Surely he must have known how ridiculous he sounded now.

"It's not your fault it's raining, it's your fault we're caught in it. If I didn't need to -" he paused his rant and pulled his eyes away from me, turning his head completely to look away. He cleared his throat. "your ... um... the rain and your top." He stuttered out quietly, almost shyly.