pt31. I'm Dreaming

"Keep an open mind. The right person coming to you at the right time will change everything you thought was true." - Kate McGahan, One Heart's Journey 

+++

Silas's POV

One Year Later 

"Do you know the reason I began therapy?" Dr. Meyers sits in her usual seat in front of the couch, in front of me. This has become a routine. Coming here every week, talking about me, my life, my problems. 

I'm not going to lie, some of it was painful... very painful. Some tears were shed but we're not going to talk about that. I haven't been the most open about how I've felt, and as much as my pre-therapy self would hate it, this shit has helped. A lot. 

I'm grateful for Dr. Meyers' help, and the fact that she has been dealing with my bullshit for over a year. 

"I have an idea." My eyebrows rise. She has? Most likely, honestly, it's Dr. Meyers. "Alright, give it a shot."

She looks at me thoughtfully before speaking. I'm pretty sure this is a shrink thing, but with every session, she has just been, like I can't even describe it, like a jar of cookies that is always fresh and warm to eat. 

I don't feel anything but warmth during our sessions and she has never judged me for the things I've confessed to her. Again, probably a shrink thing, but it just feels like... I don't know. Like I have someone to go to when I'm down. I mean, yeah, I have my brothers, but they're brothers. And her. I haven't seen or spoken to her in over a year. That doesn't mean she hasn't possessed every ounce of my mind and soul... but still.

This is going to sound fucking weird, but she reminds me of mom. I could tell my mom anything and she'd know exactly what to say. Ew. I just thought of my shrink as my mom. Fuck, this is why I hate myself. 

"Mm, Caden Wilson. I mean, that's my educated guess, but I'm pretty positive it's her. She was your former personal assistant, and your first love. She experienced personal situations, and you realized that you needed to be a better man for her which is why you are here." She stops talking to gauge my reaction but I just sit there stock-still. Damn, she's good. "The only thing I never got was why you fired her from your company."

I nod my head, knowing damn well that I withheld that information from her. I don't like talking about that. It's one of my more shittier moments. I don't know exactly why I fired her, I just knew I couldn't keep seeing her everyday if I wanted to be better for her. 

I mean, I knew she would persevere. I knew she would find her way back up again, even if I with her anymore. See, that's the difference. She would be completely fine without me; she didn't need me in her life. But I did. And if she doesn't like that, well... we'll cross that bridge when we get there. 

And it's not like my salaries didn't help her. I'm not sure if the business partners I contacted earlier to hire her if any positions opened up actually hired her, but again, it's Caden. I knew she'd be fine... Without me. 

"No comment on that." She smirks at me knowingly. "Well, I haven't seen or spoken to her in over a year. And I finally saw her last week." Dr. Meyers' eye perk up like a child to chocolate. 

"Interesting." Fucking bullshit. I know damn well she's trying to hide what she (and I) would consider big news. "Care to describe what happened."