pt5. Job for the Pity

"All deaths are sudden, no matter how gradual the dying may be." - Michael McDowell

+++

Caden's POV

His piercing blue eyes stare into my soul, making me squirm.

I hold his eye contact, trying my hardest not to expose how hard my chest is pounding under his unnerving gaze.

Finally, I break away from his eyes, feeling my orbs water after not blinking. That was scary.

I look back up only to see him still surveying me. Jesus, how long are you going to stare at me?

His eyes flicker for a moment before turning his attention to Izzie. "Thank you, Miss Turner." He nods his head to her and gives her a curt smile.

He then dips his mouth down to her level and whispers something to her ear that I can't make out.

I feel slightly awkward being here. I mean I accomplished what I came here to do. I shouldn't prolong my stay. Especially since I need to pack and move out by tomorrow.

After glancing toward Silas again, I turn on my heel and begin walking to the elevator. The office has quieted down since the article had been deleted, and I feel eyes following me, whispers going over my head.

"Who's she?"

"Is she the new PA?" Ugh, I wish.

When I finally arrive to the elevator I click for it to open.

A few minutes pass by and I feel a presence beside me. I turn around and see Sawyer next to me, waiting for the elevator.

My cheeks burn in embarrassment and I try not to think about what happened last night. I look away, turning my attention to the ground instead.

Wow, even the tiles look really fancy. They're marbled with black and grey strips across the pearl white background.

I wonder how much one tile of this floor would cost. Probably a LOT of money.

"Are you feeling okay?"

I turn to my side. "Um, yeah. Thank you for last night, I really appreciate it," I mumbled, still humiliated over the recent events.

"It's not a problem," he responds smoothly.

I nod, very nervous.

"How did you learn how to hack?" he questions, still not looking my direction. His eyes remain on the elevator door which is taking unusually long.

For some high-quality, 50 floor building, the elevators are pretty disappointing.

"Well, uh, me and my brother were in a computer program in high school," I answer.

"Well, you must have been really good if you were able to hack into someone else's account in less than five minutes," he says, still in a smooth tone. "My best computer technicians were unable to decrypt the encryptions imbedded in the website."

I smile slightly at his compliment. "Well, maybe you need better computer techs."

He chuckles. "Yeah, maybe we do."

Suddenly, he faces me and I take a step back, surprised at the sudden movement.

His lips curl into a smile before saying, "I'm not going to hurt you."

I let out an awkward laugh. "Yeah, sorry, I knew that."

"Why did you sign up for the PA position?" he inquires.