Whisky Lullabies To Say Goodnight

Start from the beginning

My joy was in the bottom of the glass. I reached it, then I ordered another. The rounds kept coming till I got lost in the number and my pockets were empty. Not even a place like that would harbor me when my pockets were empty, so I left.

I don't remember what happened after that. I must have fell asleep. The next thing I knew I was waking up in a pool of my own puke. How disgusting. It was so dark too. I laid in my stomach contents as my eyes adjusted to the darkness.

Then a candle was shoved in my face.

"Poor dearie is waking up finally."

The place stunk, and I knew it wasn't just me. I heard groaning from all around me too. I still couldn't see much, but I could make out the dimly lit face of a woman. Based off her clothing it was obvious she was a nun.

"Huh?"

She wiped off my face with a wet rag. "Been on a drinking binge, dearie?"

I closed my eyes again. "Can I go?"

She then pushed my hair back and hummed, "Like this you can't."

I moved my head to the side as I groaned, "I have to go home."

"Calm down, everything is fine. You need to relax. It's the early morning. A man like you shouldn't be out at this hour."

I tried to sit up, but my stomach flipped. My body forced me to lay back down. I took a few deep breaths to calm my trembling gut.

"Where are you from?" she asked me.

I squinched my eyes shut. "Miss, I'm from nowhere."

"Then where are you staying? Near here?"

I turned to the side and let more of the liquid leave my body. Then I wiped my mouth with my sleeve. My jacket didn't really matter anymore. It was far beyond repair after that.

"Where's here?" I asked as I settled back down.

"New York, the big city."

"Miss, I think I'm a bit lost. How long have I been here for?"

"A week or so. We all started to believe you'd never wake up after a blow to the head like the one you had," she whispered as she wiped my face off with more water.

"I don't remember getting hit."

She tilted her head to the side. "It'll come to you eventually. According to what I was told by the fellow who brought you in you were going on about some fellow named Anthony. You've mumbled a bit about him while you were asleep."

Oh no.

"Uh, sister, what have I said exactly?"

"Well, dearie, from what I've understood you love the dear fellow but based off how many times you've mumbled the word "no" I suppose you're resisting the urge. Nothing more."

A nun knew. Any ethereal being who would have heard about the whole ordeal would have found the situation to be hilarious. A drunk angel being tended to by a nun, talking about homosexual urges. What a moment. What an angel I was.

I chuckled, "Well I suppose I'm in the right place then. Sister, tell me about resisting temptation."

She wiped my forehead off again and sighed, "There's lots about it. I suppose the whole thing started in the garden. Resisting temptation can save you. Don't you want to be saved, dearie?"

"I don't know if there's much of a Heaven left for me. Maybe years ago, but ever since Anthony met me things have been downhill for the both of us."