Chapter 7: Black Widow & El Esqueleto

Začít od začátku

Sam doesn't hate it but sometimes wishes she'd stop calling her after an animated clam. She shakes her head and proceeds to walk away again. "I LOVE YOU, CLAMANTHA," Selena loudly calls, catching the attention of Yasmine's entourage. Sam spins around and scoldingly waves her hand at her. "Stop!" she mouths before going to her friends. Selena chuckles, having accomplished her goal of embarrassing her cousin. She turns to Aisha and offers, "Hey, me, my mom, and Aaliyah are going to the mall tomorrow. Do you want to come with us?" Aisha spent most of her childhood around Selena's family and she adores them. She smiles genuinely and answers, "sure, I'd love to."

Meanwhile, Daniel is keeping an eye on Selena and Sam from afar, making sure to avoid watching them like a hawk to not make them uncomfortable. Counselor Blatt approaches him with a plastic cup in hand, smiling cheesily as she gets closer. "Punch?" she pipes up. Daniel turns to her and smiles politely. "Oh, hey, thanks," he accepts the punch, switching his attention back to the dance floor. "I was kind of hoping you would show up in costume. Maybe a karate gi?" Blatt exhilaratingly speaks. Daniel shakes his head and chuckles. "No. Oh, God. I haven't worn one of those in a while," he claims before taking a sip of his beverage.

"You know, I still can't believe you and Rosala are still together after high school," she mentions, smiling stiffly. "Rosalía," Daniel corrects her. Did she call her that on purpose? Blatt releases a fake giggle. "Rosalía! Right, my bad," she innocently voices. A small smile graces Daniel's lips as he thinks of his wife. "Some things never change," he responds to her initial comment. Blatt purses her lips and nods, trying to mask her jealousy. Daniel notices her facial expression and thinks about how Rosalía said that she would always ask if they've broken up yet.

Huh, she mentioned it to me... oh, no, what if  Rosalía's right, he wonders. At that moment, Miguel walks by in a skeleton costume, catching Daniel's eye. "Apparently..." he adds as his eyes follow the boy. Miguel points to a flyer on the wall before exiting the gym. Daniel spots the flyer and his face falls, bad memories from the Halloween dance of 1984 being triggered. "Hold on a sec," he pipes up, giving his cup to Blatt before nearing the flyer to read it. Oh, crap, not this guy, he thinks as he leaves the gym.

*Time skip*

Miguel, Demetri, and Eli stand by the punch table. Miguel keeps sneaking glances at Selena, who's dancing with Ethan and her friends, wishing he was in Ethan's place. Eli does the same thing, admiring how pretty she looks. Miguel takes his eyes off of her and turns to Eli before looking at three girls on the dance floor. "Okay, are we ready? Let's ask the dragon queens to dance," he suggests. He prefers to ask Selena but that's not possible. "Slow your roll. We got time," Demetri dismisses. As he speaks, another guy asks one of the girls to dance. "No... no..." Miguel mutters as he watches. "Shit! We just lost one to Doctor Who," he announces, disappointed.

"I have to go to the bathroom," Eli suddenly mentions. "Yeah, me too. That punch is going right through me," Demetri agrees. They head toward the restroom and Miguel exasperatedly throws his hands up but follows them anyway. Meanwhile, Ethan grabs Selena's hand and spins her around, making her giggle. As she spins, she spots Miguel trudge away from the table. This piques her curiosity. She wonders why he looks upset as her gaze lingers on him. "What are you looking for?" Ethan asks, turning to see what she's staring at. His voice brings her back to reality and her eyes dart to him in surprise. "Nothing..." she replies. Ethan just nods and they continue dancing.

Suddenly, Selena feels her phone vibrate in her pocket so she takes it out. She hears cellphones chime all around her as she clicks on the notification on her screen. A video of Aisha eating Cheetos with a pig snout edited on her face pops up, captioned: "the buffet table is under attack!!!" She frowns when she sees it, looking over at the table and spotting a distressed Aisha glancing around while people laugh at her. She fixates her glare on someone before storming away. Selena follows her line of vision and sees Yasmine, Sam, and Moon. That bitch, she thinks as she marches over to them.