~7~

“So what would you like to eat Aurora?” They were at the diner, it was seven in the afternoon and the sun was beginning to set. Of course since neither knew how to cook, they went out to eat instead, sitting at a two person table with the evening light clashing into their side profiles.

“This?” She looked confused, she never ate this before.

“Fried fish and fries? That's pretty good." Charlie approved, so he decided to get a little dessert for the girl also.

"Drink?" He already had an idea on the girl's palate from what she ate in the hospital but it didn't hurt to ask.

"Apple juice." Aurora cheered, an excited grin spreading across her face, "ooh can we have this also!" She pointed to a molten lava cake, her finger repeatedly tapping the picture of the sweet dessert.

"Sure," sweets wasn't something he really enjoyed, but he'll be a fool to ignore the hopefulness in the girl's eyes.

He sat back in his seat, he already knew what he was going to get, his usual Steak and Cobbler, with a Coke. Though he'll have to add a little extra, maybe a Salad, Caesar Salad to be exact, Aurora needed the greens, needed all she could get since she was borderline underweight. He signed, he'll make sure she'll be raised right.

Bella probably took after her mother, he refused to believe her death was all his fault, her behavior was mostly influenced by her mother, which means it was mostly Renee's fault, he refuses to accept his part, it hurts too much to think about, so he won't.

He'll focus on the happy teen in front of him that's pointing at things outside the window with the biggest smile he's ever seen on someone, yeah, focus on the young girl that calls him Papa and not Charlie, the young girl that stares at him like he's the most important thing in her life. He missed this, he always wanted this, He refuses to let this go, this newly found happiness in the girl named Aurora.

“Okay Charlie, and Aurora.” Cora smiled brightly at Aurora, “ya’ll ready to order?” She spoke with a bit of excitement added to her voice, and why wouldn’t she? It was quite a feat that Charlie was out of his depressive state and doing more than he’s ever since Bella’s death and it’s all because of the bubbly girl sitting at the table with him.

“Yes, in fact we are.” He sat up with a groan, “Aurora would like the Fish and Fries, along with Apple juice and I’ll have my regular, though I’ll like to add a Ceasar Salad and Molten lava cake.” That was the most he ever spent on food, and he doesn’t regret a single bit of it. Especially when Aurora’s eyes lit up at the sound of sweet dessert, he didn’t know if she'd like it, but she seemed to enjoy the sound of it so he’ll wing it for now.

“Caesar Salad, and Molten lava cake,” Cora nodded,” how about this Aurora darling, to celebrate your adoption I'll pay for the meal instead.” She smiled, watching Aurora’s eyes light up.

“No, no Cora, there's no need to pay.” He groaned, “I’m fully capable of paying for our own meal.” He didn’t want her to pay for it, it’ll all add up to around twentynine dollars and he didn’t want the woman to waste her money on something she wouldn’t even be able to enjoy.

“Nonsense Charlie,” She nudged him, “It’s been a while since I’ve seen you here so happy and I just want to celebrate that.” She meant it, Charlie always looked so sad when he came to eat, and it broke her heart that a friend of hers was hurting and she couldn’t do anything about it. What was buying one meal going to do, if it was to celebrate her friends' new found happiness.

“No, Cora, I can't let you do that.” Charlie still refused, he wasn’t going to let it happen, he would never let a woman pay, that just wasn’t the way he was raised.