61. Know her

Spencer's POV

Emily escorted Miles into a meeting room.

I took a minute to breath. Miles's arrival had amped up the tension.

"Spencer," Emily made me jump as she exited the room. "I have to tell you something."

"What is it? Have you found out something about Y/N?"

"No." She took a shaky breath. "No. Um... You and I know both know there is only one person that we know that is an expert on press liaisons."

As if on cue JJ was walking down the hallway. Actually, it was more like she was floating. Even with no sleep, she looked angelic... What am I thinking? I need to stop. This is the stuff that got be in this mess.

"I know," I whispered. I didn't wait for JJ to reach us. I decided I would take my chances and face the death stares from Miles instead.

It honestly was the preferable decision. Even though as soon as I entered Miles threw daggers at me.

It was relief when Will entered with Faye and Rossi. Shortly followed by Emily and JJ.

"Mr Y/L/N, I'm JJ. I'm going to be talking you through the upcoming press conference."

Miles nodded. I think he was happy that things were actually in motion here.

"We have invited every news station, paper and radio that could get here. There is going to be a lot of press. It is going to get chaotic, but we need to remember our purpose. To spread the word about Y/N. It may urge a witness to come forward who didn't initially comprehend the importance of what they saw. It also gives us a chance to address the Unsub. First of all, it's important that all three of you come across as a united front." JJ looked from Miles to Faye, skipping over me. "You all have one motive, to get Y/N home. Keep that in mind. The press love to scrounge and pull up dirt and they will try to get a rise out of you, but you have to resist. We need you to make Y/N personable and relatable to the public. That will make people want to help. Right now, people don't know who the real Y/N, that is what you need to do. When given the chance you can address the Unsub too. But it is imperative that you don't antagonise him. Focus on things like that you just want to know if she is okay. You want her back safely. Ask people directly for their help. Things like that. You can share and anecdote about her anything that makes people invested in finding her. Make people feel like she is their daughter, their sister, their friend. Tell them that she loves looking at the stars at night because it reminds her that possibilities are endless. Tell them that she loves to listen to music as she cooks so she can dance around the kitchen as she does. Tell them that she has an uncontrollable sweet tooth even though she knows she's predisposed for diabetes."

When she finished, we were all silent. JJ felt guilty. She thought this was her fault. That she could have prevented it. Just liked I did.

"Do you know Y/N?" Miles pretended to itch his lower lash line to mask the fact that he was wiping the tears that were forming.

JJ faltered. She nodded. Tucking her hair behind her ear and shuffling papers aimlessly.

"I thought so. It's almost as if you know... how she thought."

"I'm a profiler. That is my job." She gulped, knowing that that was all a lie. She only knew because of me. "I'm sorry." Her face heated up.

"Why are you sorry, it's not your fault?"

JJ went suspiciously silent.

Miles is confused. "Am I missing something?"

Miles looked around wondering whether everyone else was as confused as him. Miles caught the guilt in my eyes, the disgust from Faye. The concern from Emily, the shame from JJ. The uncomfortableness from Will and the anger from Rossi.

A glimmer of recognition shone on Miles. "Oh." Miles abruptly left the room.

"I knew this was a bad idea," Rossi grunted.

"Did you have a better one?" Emily accused.

"Any of us could have relayed this information to them."

"Rossi..." Emily tried to explain her point.

"No," Rossi shunned her. "You are too lenient. Too forgiving. Just because she is your best friend doesn't mean she can meddle in other people's lives. A true friend would be honest and make the offended face the music. Not condone the behaviour. At this point, I'm beginning to assume that you already knew about all his ahead of time."

Emily lowered her gaze.

"I'm right, aren't I?" Rossi stormed to the door. "Hiding it is just as bad as being involved."

Emily pursed her lips as Rossi left.

JJ looked on at Emily. "What? He's not wrong." I knew that Emily was displeased with us. Moreover, I think she was surprised. She didn't expect this from us. "But we have other things to worry about. Let's get this press conference out the way."

..............................................................................

HOW LONG IS TOO LONG FOR A STORY???

comment below

 |

 |

v