21. Pawns

Spencer's POV

My mood was good the next morning, which was surprising considering I barely got any sleep. But seeing my finished model on the table had cheered me up.

That was until the elevator doors slid open and the smile that had once slicked my face drooped away.

JJ was crouched on the ground gathering papers that had fallen on the ground. But it wasn't only her hands collecting the mess. Another pair of hands was dangerously close to hers.

I stomped through the corridor completely ignoring her and her helper.

JJ seemed completely unaware, when she back into the bullpen, organising her paper.

"Hey, when did you get here?" She spread the pages out on her desk.

I couldn't help but glare at her.

"What?" she clocked on.

I huffed and slammed back my chair, beelining for the break room to get my second coffee of the day.

"What's wrong with him?" she questioned as I walked away.

Not long after she came to check on me.

"Bad morning Spence?"

"What do you think?" I seethed.

"Hey?" JJ was taken aback by my attitude.

I firmly closed the door to block out prying eyes and ears. "What the hell was that?" I whisper shouted.

"What?" she asked, not comprehending what I was referring too.

"Don't play coy with me. What you said to me yesterday. Was that all a game to you?" My voice was slowly raising.

"Spence, I don't know what you mean?"

"Out there. Your little flirting episode." I spat out in disgust.

"Flirting?" She raised her eyebrow.

"Yes flirting."

Her presence changed from comical to agitated. "First of all, I wasn't flirting. I can talk to whomever I want, however I want. Besides, it's not like you and I are exclusive."

"I..." I stuttered not able to think of the right words.

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Don't come over here and try and be righteous, when you're the one playing the games here. The two of us are pawns in your game, waiting while you decide who to move."

I narrowed my eyes. "Whatever."

I yanked open the door and returned to my desk, without a coffee.

I waited for JJ to come out of the break room and proceeded to deliberately call Y/N. The call went to voicemail. I projected my voice so JJ could hear me. "Hey y/N. It's me but you already know that because this is my number. Anyway, call me when you get this. And that's all..."

I could feel JJ assessing my play.

We pretty much spent all day throwing daggers at each other.

Around 5:30pm Y/N returned my call. I jumped up to answer the call.

"You all good Spence?"

"Yeah, yeah. All good. All good. Ummm... about that movie. Are you free tonight?" I glanced around and caught JJ staring at me.

"Ummm, is after 10pm alright? I have to work till then."

"Of course. Are you working at home?" I began clearing my desk.

"No, at the office?"

"You're working till that late?" My movements faltered as I checked the time.

"Yeah."

"I'm coming to pick you up when you finish." If I was invit8ing her I didn't want to inconvenience her.

"I'll be fine."

"No. I'll be waiting outside at 10pm." I wasn't going to take no for an answer.

"Alright. See you then."

"See you." I glanced back up and saw that JJ was still watching me.

"Nice plans this evening?"

"We'll see," I shrugged. I picked up my things and left the office.

At precisely 10pm I parked leaned up against the wall beside the reception door to her office.

Y/n stepped, juggling her bag, folders, Ipad and water bottle. I raced over to her to give her a hand.

"Thanks." She smiled at me.

"My pleasure," I smiled back. "This way." I gestured for her to go first.

"Where are we going? I know you know this isn't the quickest route." Y/N caught on quickly.

"I thought we could walk by the canal." I tried to be au faire about my suggestion.

"Okay," she sceptically agreed.

As we walked, I talked and she listened the entire way.

Until finally, she interrupted me. "Didn't you want to watch the movie?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, so why are we walking so slow. At this rate I'm going to fall asleep in the starting credits."

"You're so inquisitive?"

"Well answer the question," she insisted.

I pointed in the distance. "I thought you might prefer to watch it under the stars."

She marvelled at me in awe. "Seriously?"

"Yeah."

She bounced up and down on the spot and then linked her arm with me. "Let's go then."

We took our seats in the small booth I had reserved with all Y/N's favourite snacks. I tried my hardest to by attention to the movie, but I was distracted. At time I forgot to translate for Y/N, but she didn't press much.

At some point Y/N eyes begam to flutter closed. Her head dropped but she jerked it back, walking herself up. "Sorry," she mumbled when she saw that I noticed.

"Let's get you home." I helped her up and began the walk back to her apartment.

"What's wrong?" she asked me.

I turned towards her catching the concern in her eye. "Nothing."

"Are you seriously going to try and lie to me." She looked away and continued to watch the ground in front of her.

"What makes you think I'm lying?"

"Spencer. I just know." She sighed.

"It's nothing," I lied to her. It was most definitely something.

"You told me you wouldn't lie to me."

"I'm sorry."

"So, you admit it."

Grimaced at the thought. "Just some time to think. That's all I need."

I'm glad we were approaching her door.

"isn't space just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get to close," she pondered out loud. "I should go."

"That's not what I meant," I explained.

"You're just saying that. Don't worry about it Spence. I get it take your time. I'm not going anywhere." She tip toed and placed a gentle kiss on my cheek, before turning and going inside.

She really knew how to make me feel terrible.

.........................................

Slow posts over next few days. Sorry xxx