49. The Sister

Spencer's POV

A young man in sweats winced against the light from the hallway.

"I'm Detective LaMontagne with DCPD. These are SSA's Simmons and Dr Reid of the FBI. We would like to speak with Bethan Kingsley."

The man's fatigue quickly wore off. "Wha... what is this about?"

"What's your name Sir and what's your relation to Bethan?"

"Oliver. I'm the caretaker. Anything the Kingsley's need I take care of." I thought that it was an odd career choice for someone so young.

"May we come in?" Matt asked.

From behind the door, a light switched on. "Oli who is it?"

Oliver turned back. "The police Sharon. They want to speak to Beth."

The lady stared at us in confusion. "Why do you need to speak to my daughter?"

"May we come in Mrs Kingsley?" Matt requested again.

Oli waited for her approval and then allowed us in.

"We are investigating the attack and abduction of Y/F/N Y/L/N. She lives in the apartment across from yours." Will pointed out the window towards Y/N's apartment.

It was strange seeing it form this perspective. Me and Y/N had spent hours on that balcony. I'm sure that she got bored, but she never failed to intently listen to me pointing out the stars, constellations, and theories of astro-physics to her.

Before my eyes, I was back on that balcony they day she was renovating it. Her hair was thrown into a messy bun with pieces escaping and framing her face. She had an oversized t-shirt that was loosely hanging over her jeans.

"Are you just going to stare or are you going to help?" She looked at me pointedly as she stood on step ladder and strung lights.

I pushed off door frame that I had made my home. "I don't think I'm going to be much help." I went over anyway.

"I don't really need help," she laughed.

I took her hand helped her down.

"Done," she beamed, admiring her work. Although I didn't know what she could see it was pretty dark by that point. "You want to do the honours." She pointed at the power switch.

I grinned and hit the lights. My mouth fell open. I knew it was going to be amazing but what she had created was spectacular. Who would have thought you could an oasis in the middle of DC. She had swinging seats, an outdoor kitchen, plants that rivalled the botanical gardens, an outdoor movie area, and the lights that lined the perimeter, enclosing it. "Wow."

Her cheeks became more prominent. "Did I just leave you speechless?"

"... You always do."

I scanned Y/N up and down. She stood; arms crossed appreciating the balcony.

I felt in my pocket for the box that had been burning a whole in my pocket for the last week. I took the contents out the box. I slid up behind Y/N. "I've got something for you."

She half turned her head to look at me. "For me?"

I nodded, pressing my lips together.

"Okay." She held out her hand.

"No. Turn around."

She narrowed her eyes but complied.

I snaked my arm over her shoulder and positioned the necklace around her neck, linking it at the nape.