20. LEGO

Spencer's POV (flashback over, back to present time)

That's how I ended up gawping as JJ left me in a conundrum alone in my apartment.

I ripped open the package that I had set down on the counter.

My eyes practically popped out of my skull when I saw the new LEGO Star Wars Millennium Falcon. It wasn't even out yet. A note wafted out the box and fell to the ground when I pulled out the gigantic inner box.

Dear Dr Reid,

We are delighted to ship one of the first prototypes of our new product to you. This is courtesy of Y/F/N Y/L/N, who would not take any other form of payment when helping with our office remodel. We could not be happier to get your feedback and are over the moon that you are a fan of our products. 

If you have any suggestion, please do not hesitate to get in contact. Y/N has my personal line.

Many Thanks

Niels B. Christiansen

(CEO of the LEGO Group)

What in the world.

I blinked rapidly still, flabbergasted by the parcel.

I was still reeling in disbelief when my phone rang and I answered without thinking.

"Hi," Y/n greeted me.

"I... er..."

Y/N giggled on her side of the line. "I guess you got it."

"Uh huh... yeah. How did you know? I thought I was going to have to wait... How did you do this?"

"I was working in a client project, and I knew you would love it."

"People think I'm childish when I..."

"Stop that." I could feel Y/N's frown down the line. "You do you."

"Do you want to do it with me?" I shrugged off my jacket and began opening the box like a kid on Christmas.

"Me? You know I will be literally no help."

"Just for the company." I suggested.

"You're going to finish it tonight, aren't you?" Her accurate assumption made me chuckle.

"Yes."

"I'll be over in an hour."

"Okay, see you soon."

And that I did.

An hour later, she bustled through my front door, lugging in grocery bags.

"I thought you might need stocking up." She peeked in my cupboards. "Yeah, that. "Yeah, that was definitely a good call." As usual my cupboards were empty.

She walked over to running her hand over my shoulder, as I slouched over the pile of LEGO pieces that were slowly transforming.

"Looking good," she said in wonder.

"Thanks." I placed another piece.

"When was the last time you ate?"

I actually had no idea. "This morning maybe."

She patted my back. "I'll make something."

Y/n was so quite as she allowed me to concentrate that the only indication that she was there was the delicious aroma that wafted through the apartment.

"Done," I ecstatically exclaimed, jumping up from my seat.

"Wow, that was impressive. That surely must be some kind of record." She lifted her heels and peered over the kitchen counter, before coming over to me to admire my work. "And just in time for dinner." She took my hand and led me to the table. She had it all set up.

We sat in strange silence. Only the sound of cutlery could be heard. It was common knowledge that Y/N adjusted her actions to my reactions. So, her silence could only be correlated with how she thought I was behaving. That's not a good sign.

"Can I ask you something?" My mouth felt dry.

She pauses her hand floating in front of her mouth. She put down her knife raised her eyebrow. "Uh oh." Then she proceeded to feed herself.

"What?"

She exhaled and put down her fork. "Firstly, you aren't eating, which I guess isn't that surprising. Secondly, what could I possibly tell you that you don't already know?"

"What are you thinking about?" I pushed the plate away from her.

"Huh?" She sipped her water.

"What are you think about?" I repeated.

"Right now?"

"Yeah."

"That you're acting strange."

Oh great. She noticed. I knew I had been keeping a distance for a reason.