A Secret

I'd just left them and Undyne alone to hang out. My role was done for awhile. Sans would be busy watching the human for the rest of the time. All that was left for me to do was call every once in awhile, gather everyone per Flowey's request and run off to meet the humans. That'd be awhile though. So I grabbed a note and pencil and wrote down what I knew. I knew that I played an important role in the resets. I knew Sans played an even bigger role in them. I knew Sans wasn't what he seemed in front of me and our friends. I knew Frisk played the biggest role of all, them and the possible other human. I knew Flowey played a big role since he was the antagonist of the pacifist routes. Undyne and Alphys potentially had important roles too, as does Ms. Toriel and King Asgore. Those four, I wasn't so sure of though. I flipped the page. What was my role? In the pacifist routes, I seemed to be the one to trigger the ending, leading up to the barrier breaking. In neutral routes, my role seemed less important, perhaps more so if I stopped their genocidal ways.. Once more I drifted to the last reset. That golden hall. My role was to die in that fog bank so Sans would kill them there. That was my guess anyway.

♤♤♤

I should have been asleep by now. Why couldn't I sleep? Sans was still gone and I was paranoid, that's why. If my theory was correct and Sans was usually the one in that hall, that gave very valid reasons for his nightmares. I knew for sure I'd be having them for quite awhile, seeing Sans die had been traumatic. Now he wasn't home yet and I was laying here, paranoid. I groaned and called Grillby. "Hello?"
"Is Sans there?" I asked, already knowing the answer. "I was about to call you to pick him up, actually."
"I'm on my way." I was already wrapping my scarf comfortably around my neck, boots already on. There was always some point or another that he was passed out, drunk, at the bar. I left the house, magic at the ready. I wasn't letting my guard down. I headed to the bar in the silent streets that reminded me to much of what had happened, and what was to come.

♤♤♤

I gently picked Sans off his stool. "Thank you again, Grillby."
"Of course.. you sound tired, Papyrus." I brushed his worry off. "I'm fine, Sans just worried me is all."
"He's been going through-"
"I rough time. I know." Grillby tilted his head. "Did he talk to you? That's great!" I paused at the door, opening it. "Not quite, but I do know a small bit of what he's going through." I replied before bidding him a good night and closing the door. "No more harm will come to us, if I can help it, brother." I promised solemnly.

♤♤♤

I was shaken awake gently. My sleep had been fitful, though at least I'd gotten some. Sans hovered over me. "hey.. uh.. to tired to bring me to bed last night?" He was beating around the bush. Worried for me. Any other reset I would've carried him to bed then gone to bed myself, but last night I huddled us on the couch and slept, knowing my brother was safe beside me. "I-IT SEEMS SO, SANS. I APOLOGIZE."
"it's fine, it's fine.. i musta really worried ya after that nightmare huh? i should be the one apologizing."
"IT IS FINE BROTHER. SHALL I GO MAKE BREAKFAST?" Sans chuckled, still unsure if I was really ok or not. "sounds good bro, but i do gotta go after breakfast."
"... VERY WELL." What else was I supposed to say?