A Decision

They participated in every puzzle, finishing each one in record time. Of course they did. They'd done it all before. I remembered them doing this all before. I only remembered because of how DIFFERENT that last reset was. Would that happen again? If not this time, then the next? Or the next? I didn't know. I was afraid to find out. It was the last puzzle now. Here I would let the human be until they wanted to move on to Waterfall. Reluctantly, that's what I did. I almost didn't. Imagine if I'd activated the gauntlet of deadly terror. Then how would I have reacted? Would I have been happy if the human died? Would I have hated myself? It would likely have been the latter. I couldn't even kill them in the last timeline.

♤♤♤

I went straight to my room when I got home. Paced, thought. There is so much I know, but don't understand. Why does the human keep reseting? Why did the human kill us all? What is their motive? Why Sans..? I sat on my bed, shaking. Stay calm. Be rational. This was so much for me to take in at once. I just need.. to process. I laid back on my bed. It wasn't just Frisk. Flowey has been using me too. Have I been that oblivious? That naive? I sat up again, sighing. Enough was enough. "I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, SHALL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!" In a way that wouldn't make Frisk suspicious of me. That.. will be somewhat difficult, but I think I can do it. Sans already had enough on his plate without worrying about me being potentially crazy so I would not confide in him. No. I was on my own this time, and that started with meeting up with Frisk at the fog bank.

♤♤♤

I waited patiently for Frisk. "Hey. Pst. Hey Papyrus!" Flowey.. "NOT RIGHT NOW, FLOWEY, FRISK SHOULD BE HERE ANY MINUTE." He looked confused. "Since when did you call the human by their name?" I didn't answer right away, thinking of a response. "THE HUMAN, FRISK, IS VERY IMPORTANT, I LEARNED RECENTLY. IMPORTANT PEOPLE SHOULD BE CALLED BY THEIR NAMES."
"How's Frisk important?" Flowey asked. "I THINK YOU KNOW. THEIR SOUL IS THE LAST SOUL WE NEED. IMPORTANT." I concluded. Flowey peered at me. "Are you feeling ok..?"
"I AM FINE, JUST FOCUSED. YOU SHOULD GO BEFORE YOU GET CAUGHT."

♤♤♤

I continued to spare Frisk. Watching them, I noticed something. Though they almost always squinted, their eyes were not red like in the last reset, but hazel instead. Did that mean that it was two humans that looked similar reseting? Or was it always Frisk but something worse happening to make them commit genocide? Finally they gave up on the fight and I was heading home to await them for our hangout. Another thing. The other Frisk, or.. not Frisk, was paler. Almost deathly pale. That had me leaning more towards something sinister taking over the little pacifist's body. If they really were a pacifist. There was so much I still didn't know. There was still a possibility that Frisk was the one committing the murders. I 'nyehed' softly. If Undyne could see me now, solving the most important case in our world.. I would already be in the Royal Guard. They came to me. "ARE YOU READY FOR OUR HANGOUT?" They nodded. Let the investigation continue.

♤♤♤

I learned more things. Frisk was more talkative now than in the last reset. Another thing to note was that they were more agile as well during the last reset. And I'm fairly certain that their sweater, at least, was different. In the last reset I'm pretty sure it was green with a yellow stripe whereas now it was blue with two purple stripes. So maybe it was two different humans? I was going to have to write this down after the hangout. Frisk looked at everything and I added my commentary. I was a bit nervous about having them in my room.. with me.. alone.. Flashes of the last reset came to mind. I steeled myself. It was the job of a Royal Guardsman to learn, no matter how dangerous the situation. I was doing this.