18. Shattered Hearts

Sirka Village (few months ago)...

"Look!" Serra pointed above. "A bird. Can you see that?"

Haris laughs and stared at the bird-shaped clouds that floats in the sky.

"Yes. Haha. And there!" he pointed beside the bird-shaped cloud. "That's a weird shape. It looks like a dog cut into pieces".

They both laughed.

They were lying down on the grass, watching the infinite blue sky. The tall tree gave them shade and the pleasant sound of the river near them was solemn and placid.

Serra just finished working at the fields and Haris took a quick break from the construction. Mira was in their cabin, resting because she's not feeling well.

They both became silent. Serra closed her eyes and felt the coldness of the ground seeping on her back. It was comforting.

"My father said I should start coming to the trade" Haris whispered.

At that, Serra bolted upright and gave him a serious gaze.

"What?" said Serra. "No. I mean..." she was silent for a moment, surprised on his announcement. "what did you say to your father?"

This was one of the things she's scared of, Haris joining the trade. Because it's a dangerous job, a life and death journey. Though she knows it will happen but she never prepared herself for it and she never expected it would be very soon.

"If only I can decide for myself" Haris sighed and stared above. His voice was deep and sad. He looked at the sky, hoping that the clouds would take some of what he's feeling right now. "I don't want to leave you and Mira. I don't want to go but I have no choice".

She knows insisting is pointless but she still tried.

"But it's your life" said Serra. "You should be the one deciding that for yourself and not your father or any other people".

But everytime she tries to insist, the more pain she adds to Haris.

"It's not a free world Serra" Haris replied with a sad tone. "Thing like this aren't us to decide".

Serra looked away and breathed. She finally conceded.

They both became silent.

Serra don't want him to go because it's not her would be hurt the most but Mira. Haris is Mira's childhood crush and he knows it. Mira would always talk to her about how handsome Haris is and how brave he is. Haris is Mira's dream guy.

But Haris is inlove with Serra. It was her he wants and Serra didn't tell that to her friend because she knows that Mira would be hurt and she don't want that to happen. She loves Mira just like her true sister and she will do everything to make her happy. Even lying to her.

Haris would took some moments when Serra is alone to spend time with her, just the two of them. Serra would always feel guilty when Haris sit beside her and talk about the world. She felt like she betrayed Mira when Haris talks about their future. It breaks her heart.

"Why me?" Serra once asked him.

"Why not you?" Haris said. "Serra I don't know! Love is one thing the world can't explain. I don't know why I love you. I don't know why my heart wants you. I don't know, but everytime I woke up, it's your face I want to see. I don't know, but every beat of my heart is you. I even don't know why I always feel happy when I see you. I don't know why you and not Mira". Haris breathed. "I wish I know".

Does keeping this messy thing to her friend makes her a bad friend? A bad person?

"So when will you start going to the trade?" she finally said, breaking the deafening silence.