8. Heavenly fire

They put down gently their injured friends on the stone beds. Mira and Viktor were both unconscious and their chest rose and fell violently, their breaths fast and hard.
Sisi on the the other hand sat on Rena's bed, trying to collect herself.

Tears continuously ran down on Serra's cheeks. She touched Mira's hand and it was freezing cold. Her wound was nasty and sizzling like an acid was poured into it, black and yellow puss surrounds the cut, and smoke comes out from it like it was burning in an invisible flame. It also smelled like rotten eggs.

Serra sat beside Mira, she held her hand and caressed her face, clearing the curly tendrils of hair that crowds her face.

Viktor was on his stone bed, tended by Niko. Niko wasn't crying but his face was twisted with pain and worry. Tears surfaced on his eyes that glimmer on the streak of light that scattered the dome. He's shoving back the tears hardly. Viktor's wound was the same as Mira, but his was more shallow and long.

Serra felt numb all over body. She can't think properly as her mind was crowded with thoughts and questions, fighting it's way up to her consciousness. All she could see now was her friend, lying on the bed, dying.

Her mind was a turmoil of emotions and thoughts but one thing is clear that hit her like a poisoned arrow: in the woods, her hands burned in golden flame and killed the Reaper.

It wasn't burning now but at the woods after the Reaper died, the golden flame flickered in her hand for a moment then gone. It wasn't hot on her hand nor she felt a weird sensation. 

She just killed a Reaper and only Inkurs have the power to do so.

Serra swallowed. Her mind was unwelcoming of the idea and the the truth. She keeps saying "no" and "it cannot be" on her mind, trying to convince herself, but the idea of being an Inkur floats in her mind, corrupting her thoughts.

No one talked on their way home for they don't know the right words to say. All were confused and shocked on the situation. Niko carried Viktor on her back, Serra got Mira on her harms - she suddenly became strong as the kick of adrenaline gave her an extra energy - , and Rena was helping Sisi on her feet. They were all exhausted when they reached the cave and lay their friends on the bed.

Rena appeared beside Serra, handing her a bowl of cold water and a damp cloth. She wiped her tears and received it. She met Rena's eyes for a moment and she could see pain as well as wonder in them. Rena turned away without a word, getting another water and cloth for Viktor.

She wiped Mira's wound carefully. Every stroke was delicate and full of love. Mira winced every time the cloth touched near the wound and Serra would feel sorry.

They were also quiet now. All Serra could hear was her sobbing and the sound of the river and the wind outside. She would sometimes caught Niko and Sisi glancing at her then look away.

The silence was painful and deafening.

it was Rena who broke the silence.

"Serra" she whispered. There was hesitation in her voice. She said Serra's name carefully like she's made of glass or a delicate china. "What you did-" she paused. "you... you killed the Reaper".

Serra swallowed and met her eyes.

She didn't respond to her for she don't know what to say. Should she say "yes, I did"? But the words won't come out on her mouth.

"Heavenly fire" Sisi whispered, her eyes fixed on Serra and it was the color of charcoal, full of mystery and wonder. They all looked at her, Serra ceased wiping Mira. "That was Heavenly fire, the very essence of Ether. Only the Inkurs of that realm can harness such divine power".