17. Ancient One

The sword landed on the old man's hand like he was holding a magnet.
Serra then quickly jumped back and lifted her hand; golden flame danced on her palm. Kebin also stepped back, surprised.

Then suddenly the old man's skin started to change. The old skin were peeled off into golden flakes which fell to the ground and vanished into thin air. His skin became thicker and pale; the veins were now concealed. His beard burned away in golden flame leaving no trace on his face. His long hair was also gone, trimmed to a wavy blonde cut. His deep gray eyes were now full and alive, the color of the sun like hers.

Serra was shocked as she stared at the ancient one. He wasn't an old man now but a handsome man with thick black brows, chiseled cheek bones, nice jaw, and a pair of golden eyes. He was so handsome and looked like just a normal human teenager. He was radiating power and justice, as if like the holy flame surrounds him. Then the ancient one smiled at Serra.

She gasped and put her hands down to her side. It stopped burning now.
The ancient one looked familiar. Serra dug to her deepest memory and tried to recall the resemblance. Then she remembered someone she met in her dream, in Ether.

"Caro?" the words flew out in her lips like a whisper.

"Hello chosen one" the ancient one said.

His voice was like music. It was like the angels came down and sang to Serra's ears. His tone was soft and careful, melodic and rythmic. Her ears ached with joy.

"I am Farhan, brother of the great Inkur Caro" the ancient one continued. "Thank you for coming". Then Farhan bowed on Serra. "I long waited for this very moment, thank you for freeing me. You are here not by accident nor coincidence, but by destiny. Because the gods of Ether choses you to weild the power of life, a great responsibility must be carried. Hear this chosen one,"

Then Farhan closed his eyes and spoke. His voice echoed to Serra's ears like he was there at her head, whispering at her very mind.

"Born on knowledge and light,
chosen by the heavens to end the blight,
of the forsaken world destroyed by greed
where death walks to bring bloodshed.
With the holy blade, the door must be sealed,
or darkness will rule and all life will fall".

Then after he spoke, he opened back his eyes and smiled. Suddenly his skin started to fade away like ashes. Every bits and pieces of him slowly disintegrated into nothingness. He was fading away but still smiling. Before he completely lost and bid goodbye he said his final words.

"Remember child" he said. "Your world is broken and you are born to fix it".

Then he's completely gone.

The final words were not Farhan speaking, it was Caro. She clearly remembers his voice and it was also the same words Caro said to him before she left Ether.

The ethereal blade fell and clanged to the floor. There was nothing left on Farhan, his robe also vanished with him.

Still stunned, Serra just stood there like a statue. Everything happened so fast that she doesn't have the luxury of time to absorb them slowly. She was breathing so fast, still looking at the wooden chair where the ancient one sat earlier. She was left hanged.

She then glanced on Kebin who also looked surprised. No one spoked. They were staring at each other for a moment.
Then, Serra turned and picked up the sword. It was warm on her hands.

"The ancient has spoken," Kebin said quietly. Serra turned to him. "The prophecy was delivered. Now the fate of the world is in your hands chosen one".

Serra was silent for a moment and just stared at the captain. She don't know what to say. The prophecy was still echoing on her mind.

"I need to go to my friends first" was all she said as it was the first thing that came to her mind.