CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - Stepping On Hallowed Ground

Timber kissed Henry and rushed up the stairs. Her feet made more noise than usual but she had ten minutes to get dressed before the family arrived and she had not washed her face or brushed her teeth properly in months. She went into the joined bathroom and opened the gym bag. Right on top were her toothbrush, toothpaste, and a bottle of mouth wash. Beside them were Timber's face wash and moisturizer, her razor, and deodorant. Timber smiled at Henry's thoughtfulness and freshened up as quickly as she could, shaving under her arms but nowhere else. No one would see her legs anyway. She cleaned her face and brushed her teeth.

She just spit out her mouthwash when the doorbell rang. The family had arrived. Timber reached into the bag and grabbed the stack of clothes. She just put on her regular football clothes when it hit her. It was the first proper Thanksgiving without Chad. She stopped moving and started crying. Then she could hear Emily in her room. She was crying too. She opened the door. She was standing in the middle of the room in her old jeans and a sports bra with her shirt in her hand. Emily looked up and Timber wrapped her arms around her. They stood there for a couple of minutes and then took a few deep breaths to calm down.

They pulled themselves together, finished getting ready and went down the stairs. Chad's parents had made their annual trip from San Francisco to see their only granddaughters. They all smiled at each other.

"Where is everyone else?" asked Timber, looking around for the uncles and cousins that always came.

"It's just us this year," said Mimi.

"There have been a few developments that have occurred since last Thanksgiving but they were not appropriate discussion for a funeral," said Papa. "Hello, Henry!"

"Hello, Mr. Frunden," said Henry. "How was the drive up?"

"Chaotic," said Papa. "We thought we were going to be late! 101 was stop and go for an hour. Who does highway construction on Thanksgiving?"

"Thankfully we left early, but that means that we're a little tired. I'm sorry, girls. You must have been looking forward to the football game."

"Yes, and no," said Emily. She looked up at Timber. "Got any ideas on how to pass the time?"

Timber thought for a moment. Then she grinned and whispered something in Emily's ear. She smiled and the two ran upstairs.

"This is going to be amusing," said Henry.

"Do you know what they're up to?" asked Grace.

"No, but if it's Timber's idea..." said Henry. His voice trailed off and he looked up. "Grace? Do you have an attic?"

"Just a small one. It's where we keep our personal memorabilia and holiday decorations. Emily has some toys and dress up things that she kept from when she was little."

There was a loud thud, followed by the sound of muffled laughter.

"What in the world are they doing up there?" asked Papa.

"Whatever it is, they're having fun," said Mimi. "Let them be."

Henry could hear the two moving things around. After a few more minutes, it was quiet. Then the house was filled with the sound of Emily laughing wildly. Timber was chasing her. They ran down the stairs and passed Henry. They darted to the backyard, leaving the door open a little. Henry and the others looked out the window and burst into a fit of laughter.

Timber and Emily were dressed up as pirates and they were in the middle of a sword fight. They were chasing each other through the leaves around the tree and the shed, both squealing hysterically.

"Arg! I will cut thee to ribbons!" shouted Timber, pretending to cut at Emily with a plastic sword.

"You'll never have me treasure!" replied Emily, valiantly.