CHAPTER ELEVEN - Lake Yamanaka

Timber opened her eyes and her jaw dropped. They were standing under a tree full of sweet green leaves and the gentle breeze was making them dance. In front of them was a crystal lake of almost still water with no boats out yet. Then, dominating the horizon, was Mount Fuji, snow-capped and majestic.

The three of them stood in wonder at the sight before them. Timber took a photo of the scenery and one of her and Henry in front of the mountain. She asked for one of the three of them and Lord Frost complied and bent slightly to fit in the photo. Then Timber put her phone away. She just enjoyed the view for a long time.

"I never thought I'd see this place in person," said Timber. "What lake is this?"

"Lake Yamanaka," replied Lord Frost. "There is a village behind us as well. Do either of you have money on you? I carry money but I did not think to bring more than enough for myself."

"I have forty dollars," said Henry.

"Would you like some food?"

"Please," said Timber.

"Henry, may I please have the bills?"

Henry pulled his wallet out of his back pocket, handed Lord Frost the cash and Timber watched in awe as the American bills became Japanese Yen. Lord Frost had manipulated the ink to match the local currency. Timber and Henry were both very impressed. Henry returned the wallet to his pocket and followed Lord Frost through the trees.

"I will translate when we order food but you both should learn how to say thank you."

"Arigatō," said Timber. "Right?"

"Correct. I did not know you spoke Japanese," said Lord Frost.

"I don't. It's the only word I know. I learned it from an old song."

Lord Frost and Henry chuckled. The three of them came out of the trees. Timber saw the town of Yamanakako full of people going here and there. They were clearly used to strangers but Timber was causing a bit of a stir. Only Lord Frost could understand what was being said. Timber did not see the stares but Henry noticed. To his credit, he said nothing. Lord Frost took them to a nice restaurant called Joy Patio.

"Ohayo gozaimasu," said Lord Frost with a bow.

"Mister Frost!" said the host with a warm smile and a bow. "It has been a long time. Your favorite table is free. Shall I set it up for you and your guests?"

"Onegaishimasu. Arigatō"

The host bowed again and disappeared around the corner. Timber was nearly bouncing on her toes. The host returned and took them to a separate room with a cozy fireplace and tables covered in light green linen. They were seated and given menus and then left alone.

"Mister Frost. That's not something I'm used to hearing," said Henry.

"Yes. I have been coming to this area for a few hundred years. I wait forty or so years in-between visits. Then I return once or twice a year for ten years. They think the man that was here four decades ago was my father. This is my third time at this restaurant this year. The food is delicious. Aside from Southern comfort food, Japanese food is my favorite cuisine."

"You really think of everything, don't you?" asked Timber.

"I try," said Lord Frost. "Now. What would you like to eat?"

Timber wanted rice and noodles and Henry wanted sushi. When it was time to order, Lord Frost did the talking because the waiter did not speak English. The conversation was lighthearted as they waited for their food. When it arrived, Timber was impressed by how beautiful it looked in her bowl and plate. Timber wasn't one to photograph food but this was an exception. She wanted to recreate this.