CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - Camping

"Timber! Xianna and the girls are going to be ten minutes late!" Henry called up the stairs.

"Okay!" Timber called back. She zipped her duffel bag closed and hauled it down the stairs, setting it beside a backpack and a red camping chair. "Did they say why?"

"Something about a new pair of boots for Xianna."

"That'll be fun. Xianna hates shoe shopping."

"Much like someone else I know," teased Henry. "Do you have everything you need?"

"I think so." Timber pulled a list out of her purse pocket and went over it, pausing at each item. "Well, that would have been a problem."

She darted up the stairs and came back down with her portable phone charger. She opened her bag and put it in a small bag. Then she zipped it closed.

"There. Now I have everything."

"I'm glad I asked," said Henry.

He looked at Timber, then pulled out his wallet. He handed her two crisp hundred-dollar bills. Timber took it, looking confused.

"What's this for?" she asked.

"Emergencies," said Henry. "I've traveled enough to know that emergencies happen and it's good to have extra money aside from the original budget."

"This much though?"

"Gas prices have gone up a little bit," said Henry. "I don't want you guys stranded or to run out of money for food."

Timber put the money in her bulging wallet. She couldn't close it. She took out her library card and it closed.

"Two little bits of paper sure make a big difference," said Timber.

"Run me through one more time about the garden," said Henry.

"I have it set up on a drip system on the timer so you don't have to water anything. I just need you to check for mushrooms and pull them out and throw them away if you see them. Nothing needs to be harvested yet. Oh, I need to get the snacks."

Timber rushed into the kitchen and came back with a bag full of energy bars, trail mix, and other healthy foods that would last outside of the refrigerator. She set it by the door.

"There. Now, all we have to do is load it into the truck."

"Whose truck is it, again?"

"Ashley's dads. He's using her car while we're gone."

"Can he fit? He's a big man."

"He's a little scrunched, but he says he fits, so..." Timber grinned. "I'm sure he's going to regret it after a day or two."

A horn honked.

"That's the girls," said Timber. "Right on time. Ten minutes late."

Henry laughed and helped Timber bring out the bags to the truck bed. Ashley got out of the freshly cleaned thirty year old vehicle and lowered the creaking tailgate. There were four duffel bags, and four hiking backpacks, and four camping chairs in various colors, as well as a small cooler and a massive tent. Together, Henry, Timber, and Ashley made everything fit in such a way that whoever was driving could still see out the back window.

"Text me when you stop," said Henry. "I just want to know you're OK."

"I will."

Timber hugged and kissed him goodbye. Henry turned to walk away. A thought occurred to him and he stopped and turned around before Timber fully got in.

"Ashley, wait."

"What?"

"Pop the hood."

Ashley complied and Henry looked around. He sniffed.