CHAPTER THIRTY - Home Again

Timber woke up the next morning to the scent of cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. She tried to Turn but she could not. She nudged Henry. He stirred and inhaled deeply. His eyes opened wide.

"Where are we?" he said immediately. He looked around and sighed in relief. Then he sniffed. "Is Grace cooking?"

Timber nodded and Henry grinned. They both jumped out of bed and ran down the stairs. Emily was so startled by how quickly they appeared, she squeaked. Grace poked her head around the corner.

"Oh, good! Y'all are up. How are you feeling?"

"Hungry," said Henry.

"And?" pressed Grace, with a raised eyebrow.

"Honestly, a little disoriented," said Henry.

"Queen Aiyanna came by last night while you slept. She said you may feel spells of disorientation, confusion, sickness, feel short-tempered, and you may have some trouble with coordination. It'll be gone in a day or two but she gave me a list of remedies that will help. Thankfully I already have them.

"We've been through this once before, Henry. When I ask how you're feelin', I want to know everythin'. I don't like things hidden from me, particularly regarding anything medical. I am a specialized nurse, after all. I can help."

"I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"See that it doesn't," said Grace. "I can't help if I don't know what is wrong."

THUD

Timber ran into the wall and fell over. She shook her head and got back up. Grace walked over and held a finger in front of Timber's eyes. Timber could not follow the movement. She blinked several times and shook her head again. Grace repeated the exercise with the same result.

"Timber, does your head hurt?"

Timber nodded.

Grace touched Timber's head until Timber grunted.

"Well, this must be one of the side effects Her Majesty told me about," she said. "Are you feelin' any sort of headache, Henry? Do you have double vision?"

"Just a small headache, but it's not bad. My vision is fine."

"Then Timber is likely experiencing time traveling differently than you. I have stuff to ease the symptoms." Grace got to her feet. "Emily, get my kit."

Emily ran upstairs, then back down carrying a medical kit. Timber knew the routine and lay on her side. Grace checked her over and then pulled out a needle kit.

"Timber, I'm goin' to give you a shot. This is going to help you." Timber thumped her tail and covered her eyes with her paw. "Timber doesn't like needles," Grace told Henry.

"I don't either," said Henry.

"You may need a shot too," she said, observing Henry's facial expression. "Alright, Timber. Three... Two... One."

Grace jabbed Timber with the needle as gently as she could and punched the clear liquid into Timber's hip. Timber's lip twitched and she growled lightly but she didn't move. Then Grace got to her feet and faced Henry. Henry crossed his arms.

"I don't want a shot," he said.

"I'm not goin' to give you one unless you need it," said Grace. "Now let me look at you."

Henry backed up a step.

"Henry Santelli, hold still or I will make you," warned Grace.

"Listen to her, Henry," advised Emily, who was watching with some amusement. "Mama will win. Mama always wins."