CHAPTER NINETEEN - Saving Diana

Henry took Diana to McDonald's and told her to get whatever she wanted. She stood there looking confused and scared. A realization dawned on Henry.

"Diana, have you ever ordered for yourself before?"

"No."

"Haven't you ever eaten at a restaurant?"

"Yes, but my father always chose what I ate."

Henry ran a hand down his face.

"So you have no idea how to fend for yourself." Henry sighed. "Do you at least know what bills are?"

"Like dollar bills?"

Henry felt his stomach drop. He told Diana to sit down and listen carefully. Henry explained everything the best he could from working a job to earn money, paying taxes and bills, to grocery shopping and budgeting. Diana was visibly overwhelmed.

"I didn't know," she said.

"Nobody explained anything to you?"

"No. The only thing that I had to do was watch my figure and look a certain way."

"You didn't have chores?"

"I had a maid. My father has a rich man for me to marry. I didn't need all of this stuff."

"You're engaged? Have you met him?"

"No, but does it really matter if he's rich?"

"Yes because what if he's physically abusive?"

"Oh."

"We'll talk about this later. Pick something to eat."

Diana gathered her courage and got a sausage egg McMuffin, a hash brown, and a platter of pancakes. Henry just got an egg McMuffin and an orange juice. They sat down and Henry let Diana eat first before he started a conversation. He watched her take her first bite.

"Oh. This is amazing. This is junk food? It's fantastic."

"It's fine in moderation. Healthy foods should still be most of what you eat."

He ate his breakfast and let Diana enjoy hers. Then, he began asking important questions.

"So, aside from flirting, what do you think you're good at?"

"I like clothes and makeup."

"I think you are misunderstanding my question. What skills do you have that could be useful for a job?"

"I don't know. I never thought about it."

"Can you take notes quickly?"

"Yes," said Diana.

"Can you lift fifty pounds?"

"Not even a little."

"Can you actually be polite?"

"I think so. With some practice." Diana looked out of the window in silence for a while. "Mr. Santelli? I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"My behavior towards you."

"You already apologized."

"I know but -"

"It's done, Diana. That being said, if you're really sorry, you'll change."

Diana nodded.

Henry asked more questions about her skills, what she was good at and what she was not good at. Henry looked up job openings on his phone and found a few that he thought Diana could hold on to if she put her mind to it.