CHAPTER SIX - Smooth Criminal

It was a beautiful Saturday and Timber was at her aunt and uncle's house eating lunch before Emily's very last dance recital. Henry and Emily were already at the middle school and backstage in the auditorium to go over last-minute details and to get ready. Henry had called Timber shortly after arrival, expressing discomfort at being quietly swooned over by Emily's middle school friends. Timber could only laugh.

"It's not my fault you're so cute," was all she said to which Henry replied, "Thanks," in a slightly sarcastic tone.

When Timber, Grace, and Chad had finished eating, Chad took some extra pain medication and got into the car with Timber and Grace. They had not told Emily that Chad was feeling well enough to go so they were eager to see her face when she saw him. It only took five minutes to get to the Cotton Auditorium at the middle school. Parking was nonexistent close to the entrance as both handicap spaces were already being used so Grace dropped Chad and Timber off in front of the school and went down the street to park as soon as Chad was in his wheelchair safely with Timber.

Timber rolled Chad up the smooth concrete ramp to the right of the steps, going between four of the eight narrow pillars that framed the main entrance. A man opened one of the three wooden double doors for them, and Timber politely thanked him as they passed. They waited for Grace in the back left corner of the foyer by the school's trophy case where she could see them but where they were out of the way. They talked quietly about past recitals they had been to and the dances Emily had done over the years. It was generally always the same recital.

The five and six-year-olds would all be dressed like ballerinas and gentlemen and it was always adorable. The seven to nine-year-olds would have a group routine. The dancers aged ten, eleven, and twelve were paired off. The thirteen-year-olds were dancing their own routines to an assigned song. Emily and the other five other fourteen-year-olds would be dancing with their fathers, or mothers, or, in Emily's case, someone close to them. Teenagers were always judged. The winner was given fifty dollars. Emily never cared about winning. She just wanted to have fun.

Grace found them and they took their seats in the back beside Chad in the handicap spot. The auditorium filled up quickly. Right at one, the lights dimmed and the spotlight pointed to the stage. Announcements were made that Timber didn't pay attention to. She was too busy reading her program. She always saved these. She found Emily's name. She was second in her age group. It was her name in one row and in the second row, the fathers and mothers were named. Henry was labeled as a father figure. She smiled a little.

The smallest kids took the stage. Timber watched happily. They were adorable. One of the little girls was all sass while the other two were a little shy. Timber laughed heartily. The next group was a lot of fun. Timber clapped along with the rest of the audience to the music and cheered loudly when they bowed. The next group was paired doing various styles from tap dance to the robot. The variety was great and very entertaining. The thirteen-year-olds showed great talent for the song they were given. They were not popular songs but they danced well to them.

Finally, it was time for the last group. The girl before Emily came out with her dad. They were dressed up in a 1950's style and danced a well-timed Jive. When it was over Timber clapped politely and smiled brightly when Emily and Henry were announced.

Henry walked out alone. Timber grinned. His hair was tousled about. He didn't look up but his grin was the same grin he got when he could smell Timber. The music started and Timber was in shock for a moment. Henry moved slowly, turning, and curving his spine down to the floor. Fifteen seconds went by with no sign of his dance partner. Then Emily ran out and jumped on Henry's back as the sound of glass breaking played on the track. Henry reached back, grabbed her, and tossed her up. She spun and flipped once, keeping her body tight as she faced Henry. The routine was quick-paced and physically intense and Timber could see Emily's face. Her grey, smokey eye makeup couldn't hide her anger. She was throwing every negative emotion she had been feeling over the last several months into this dance.