Chapter 18

December 25, 2016

Two days had passed yet I haven't seen Yeji around nor hear her voice next door. Is she not here?

"Sohee-ah, you better not go somewhere else, okay?" I heard, coming downstairs.

"Mom? I'll be here this evening. I'm just gonna go and enjoy the day with Sol and our friends."

"Why won't you bring your sister with you?"

"I tried before but she chose the other way. She can handle herself."

I bet, Sohee's really upset of me. We haven't even talk since I came back. It's fine...I think we can work things out.

The moment I knew that Sohee's out, I started walking downstairs. Mom's eyes immediately pinned on me.

"Mom, where's the things in my drawer?" I curiously asked. I was about to check the sketchbook but I found none in my drawer.

"Oh sorry for not telling you. I've placed it in the basement when I cleaned your room." Mom lets go of the glass she's holding and hurries to the basement's direction, "I'll go and get it-"

I chuckled which made her stop, "It's fine Mom. I'm gonna let go of those anyway. I only asked you to know if you're the one who kept it." I said. Mom gives out a sigh of relief and smiles at me.

"Can I ask you something, Mom?" I heavily breathed knowing the question in my mind. She hums in return as she walks back to the glass table. "I haven't seen Yeji around. Do you know where she is?"

"Ah, Sol's sister? I don't know where she spends her time but your Dad told me that she's often wasting her time at the nearest bus station." Mom stated that left my forehead wrinkling.

"Why?"

"I don't know? I've seen her a few times sitting there after class."

Why? The nearest bus station where we both waited for the bus last year?

Before I could even think of something, I found myself walking out of home. The snow keeps falling but I couldn't feel the coldness despite of only wearing a sweater.

Are you waiting for me? Or I'm just assuming something? Yeji...don't make my heart race like this...

I walk cautiously as I'm slowly seeing the sight of the bus stop. I stood near the golden bell tree when I saw Yeji—but Sohee's there. It's a little bit foggy because of the falling snow but I can see them from here...with Sohee putting beanie on Yeji's head.

You're such a caring person, aren't you, Sohee-ah?

A gasp escaped from my mouth when they started walking to my direction..I covered my mouth and stood straight behind this tree enable to hide myself.

"Are you excited to see my gift for you? Don't be sad, Yeji-ah, it's Christmas."

"I just can't feel it..."

"Everything will be fine. I'm here...I know you can walk pass by that, okay? I'm here who supports you at all time."

"Sohee-yah...I'm sorry..."

"Sol will kill me if I hurt you. Don't worry, I'm here always."

Thank you, Sohee...

But why? I feel so sad...

Why do I feel so sad?

Buddy, this is one of the saddest part I've ever told you.

What should I exactly feel? What is it all about? What were they talking about? How did they get so close—closer than Sohee and Sol must've been.

What have I missed?

—🌷