Chapter 25

July 25, 2021

It's morning already and Lia's still sleeping peacefully. I walks toward the window to peek on the window and see if the weather is fine.

No...to see if I could see Yeji from here.

But a black window appeared on my sight, thing that I didn't notice yesterday. Yeji's window was covered with black...like she's not going to open it no more.

My heart aches for no reason. I can still remember her face everytime I peek on the window back then. She would hop on the window or get her chair and talk non-stop...even if I show no interest.

"Yeddeong-ah!"

I gripped on the curtain when I heard Sol's voice. Is Yeji in her room?

"Babe?" Lia's voice made my grip loose as I partially lost the interest to even hear more from the room next door.

I slowly turned to face her with a smile on my lips—different from what my eyes seems, "Hm?" I walks toward her who's still on the bed. "Why? Are you hungry?"

"No baby...what are you watching over there?" Lia asked but I smiled more with a shake of my head. "Nothing?" Lia reassures so I nods.

"What do you want for breakfast?"

"I don't feel the need to eat this morning. I want to sleep more..." Lia quickly lifted up the blanket. It immediately falls back on her, covering her curled up body.

I releases a heavy breath before walking towards the door. I'll just take a quick walk outside since I missed this place. Aside from that...I wanna meet one of the Hwang sisters. I want to ask about my sister. I want to know if...they were together when the accident happened.

"Ryujin-ah, I'm just about to prepare your breakfast. Are you hungry already?" Mom asks when she saw me here upstairs, holding on the handrail of the stairs.

"Not yet, Mom, I'm gonna have a walk outside." I said while walking downstairs, "When can we visit the cemetery by the way?" I curiously asks but Mom's eyes turned gloomy which makes me realize how insensitive I am. I asked too casually...as if a tragedy didn't happen here in this home.

"Mom..." I mumbled, "I'm sorry..."

"I-It's fine. Go and have a safe walk outside, Ryu. By the time you'll get back for sure your breakfast is ready." Mom taps my shoulder when am just two feet away from her. I smiled in return.

I went here to at least make the surroundings lively and to be with Mom whilst Dad's not around. I shouldn't be making Mom feel  overwhelmed like that. In two months—I should make a slightest change here in our home. I'll just ask for Sol unnie to accompany me if everything's fine here already.

The sun is shining bright but the air breathes cold. The sky looks so pretty...

Have you had that kind of sky before passing away, Sohee-ah?

There's a lot of golden bell tree here in the street. Fall is about to come. Those yellow flowers will soon fall off. As far as I can remember—the only golden bell tree here before was that of near the bus stop.

I'm not wrong...the golden bell tree near the bus stop stands way taller and tougher than the other. Its flowers are still prettier.

"Yeji..." I mumbled and smile when I remember the time we rode a bus. It was a quick moment that stayed in my mind for long...

I hurriedly walks toward the old tree. I can see the bus stop from here already. There are 4 person or 3 in there but I couldn't care more. The old tree looks good.

"A snack at 7/11?"

"It's gonna be your treat Jooyeon-ah!"

"Why me?"

I looks down to avoid an eye contact with them. They're prolly the one who were in the bus stop just by now.

"Yah! Yeji-ah! See you at the bar later!"

"Bye Yeddeong-ah!"

My eyes widens when I heard that name. When they walk past by me, I lifted my head to avert my eyes at the bus stop.

Yeji...

She's wearing a beanie and a casual shirt with her black pyjama. She's standing, her arms on her back as she draw something on the ground with the tip of her shoe.

I quickens my walk with a smile on my face. I don't know. I'm nervous but I'm excited. I'm happy...to finally see her.

"Y-Yeji..." I approaches even if I'm still 6 feet away from her. She looks at me in amusement that's why I scratches my nape and walks close to her.

"Hi...it's been so long..." I said, trying to start a conversation.

"Pardon?" Yeji's staring at me with an amused expression on her face.

"Can't you hear me?" I asked.

"I can...but who are you?" Yeji uttered. My heart drops down my knees because of her question.

"I'm sorry, I met an accident and lost my memory. Are you a friend from high school?"

Am I a friend from highschool?

Yeji...your memory's too good, this can't happen.

—🌷