Chapter 41: A sick day.

Start from the beginning

"Gugh..." his breathing grew fainter by the second.

"Natsu! What's wrong?!" Wendy rushed to his side, placing his head on her lap. W-What's happening to him? Why didn't my magic heal him?!

"Natsu! Wendy!" Erza slammed their room door wide open. "I thought I heard an explosion! What's going on?"

"Erza...!" Wendy turned her head to her, her own eyes welling up with tears. "It's Natsu... he's...!"

Erza ran to Natsu's side. "Natsu..." she placed her hand on his forehead and winced back from the incredible heat, similar to how Wendy reacted. "His body temperature... it's abnormally hot."

"I... I tried healing to ease his pain." She said, "But... I don't know what happened. I think I hurt him...!"

"Woah, what the hell happened to you, man?" Gray and the others entered their room.

"Oh no, did he get a fever?" Juvia asked.

"It would seem that way." Jellal replied.

Erza caressed his forehead, observing his pained expression. "Your healing didn't work on him?"

"Erza..." Jellal walked to her side. "Can you sense his magic level...?"

"..." Erza focused her senses on the flow of ethernano in his body. Indeed, there was something... odd about it. "His magic energy... it's fluctuating intensely. Can all of you feel it?"

Everyone focused on the surrounding ethernano and sure enough, the ethernano particles around Natsu were acting out of the norm.

"I would guess that his body rejected your magic." Erza deduced, stroking her chin. "I don't understand how this is happening, though."

"Look, his neck..." Gray motioned to his neck. "I think it's glowing?"

"Hmmm...?" Erza stared at his neck. A strange light glowed through his scarf. "Excuse me, Natsu..." she slowly pulled his scarf away from his neck, revealing a glowing magic circle, spreading out. "What the..."

"W-Woah... what is that?" Gray asked, looking at the magic circles. "I've never seen that before."

"It's glowing quite brightly." Juvia said.

The magic circle... it made her remember the events last night. Wendy instinctively rubbed over her neck. But I'm fine...? Mine isn't glowing at all.

"I've never seen this before either." Erza scanned the magic circle intently. "I'm not sensing anything malicious, so I doubt it's a curse."

"Hmmm... I believe you're right, Erza." Jellal placed his hand over his neck. "It doesn't seem to be inherently harmful. But his flow of ethernano... it's acting unpredictable."

"That sounds really dangerous." Gray said, his tone laced with concern. "What caused it? He seemed fine the night before."

"Was it because of the hot springs?" Juvia asked.

"I highly doubt that, Juvia." Erza crossed her arms. "It should have happened to all of us if that was the case... but it's only Natsu who's experiencing this."

Natsu... Wendy ran her fingers through his pink hair. Her heart ached painfully seeing him in this state. Knowing she can't even use her healing abilities to ease his pain made her feel useless.

"Do we have an ice pack around here?" Erza asked. "We need to take care of his fever first."

"I'll try finding one." Gray replied, turning around to leave the room. Juvia followed him.