Chapter 15 A Spy's Secret

Start from the beginning

"Mr. Lee, the board of directors wants to hold a meeting to delay the renovation plan again. With Mr. Talavera in a coma, what should I say?" Mr. Talavera's executive director asked, approaching Andrew.

"Attend the meeting. Make sure the renovation plan DOES NOT get pushed back. It's what Mr. Talavera wants. The sooner it gets done, the sooner things go back to normal."

"Of course." The executive director said and left. Andrew checked his watch. It was past seven and he hadn't gone home in days. Neither had he eaten properly. After making sure Mr. Talavera was safe with his security team, he decided to go home. He showered and got into sweats after what felt like ages.

"Ah, that feels good. Ji Hoon was right. Suits are not for twenty-four seven." He said to himself. He ordered from his favorite Chinese restaurant going all out with jajangmyeon, dumplings and sweet shrimp. While he ate, he played back his landline voicemail, listening to each message. He got quite a few pouty messages from Hye Ryung, his girlfriend. She wanted to meet up for a date and even stopped by to stock his fridge. He felt touched when he had seen his stocked up fridge earlier.

"Hye Ryung-ah, she's such an angel." He said to himself. He continued listening to the messages when he suddenly heard a click. His front door opened and a woman stepped in, holding a lunch bag. She started on seeing Andrew.

"Aish, you frightened me! When did you get back? You've been away for days!" she said. She noticed him eating take out.

"Seriously? After all that I cooked for you! Didn't you check the fridge?" she asked.

"I did a little too late though, sorry Hye Ryung. I was busy with work." Andrew said sheepishly. Hye Ryung heard her messages being played on the landline and frowned.

"You're hearing them now? Forget it, I'm here now, I can talk to you in person. I'm not leaving tonight." She said, determinedly taking off her coat. She made to turn off the phone but a male voice came on suddenly.

"Hye Ryung, wait! I need to hear that!" Andrew said. Hye Ryung paused, looking at him.

"Yah needle tail, this is blue jay. The mockingbird is safe, repeat, the mockingbird is safe. She's in the special nest. Blue jay out." The message stopped. Andrew breathed in relief.

"Thank goodness. Ji Hoon, you punk, you finally contacted me." he said.

"Who's Ji Hoon?" Hye Ryung asked. Andrew got up to delete the message.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you..."

Laura crept into the living room slowly

Laura crept into the living room slowly. Ji Hoon was seated on the couch, fiddling with some gadgets and wires, his back towards her. She noticed him craning his neck from side to side as though he had an ache and frowned. She was sure it was because he was too cramped on the couch.

"You're up early. Did you sleep alright?" he asked suddenly without turning around. Laura jumped and her jaw dropped.

How did you - I didn't even make a sound!" she exclaimed. "There's no way you could've known I was here!"