Chapter 12 (✓*)

Comincia dall'inizio

I stopped, whirling on him. "What?"

His mouth was a grim line. "I didn't go into much detail before, I apologize. You are a miracle of stars, Kyra. Just by being a human to survive a werewolf transformation, you now possess a power that is rivalled by no other. Mastering this power will open up many doors, my dear."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What kind of power could I possess that would rival his, let alone anyone's? I considered denying his claims outright, but the sincere look in his eyes stopped me from saying anything. Instead, I blew out a long breath.

"I think you're mistaken, Azriel. No disrespect to you, but I just don't think someone like me could have a power like that. I can barely comprehend the fact that werewolves exist, so the thought of me possessing some crazy magic is still beyond me." I paused, brows furrowing. "And if you're asking me to be part of this war, I'm going to have to reject you as kindly as possible. I'm not built for that kind of stuff. Sorry."

My words were met with silence. Azriel looked conflicted, as though fighting the urge to say something else. After what felt like an eternity, he gave me a solemn nod. "Forgive me, dear. I got ahead of myself here. You by all means do not have to participate in battle."

I could tell those words pained him to say, but I nodded. I suppose for him, in a world of violence and devastation, people were always jumping at the opportunity to fight. He wasn't used to someone declining an offer like this.

And more than that, what was this power Azriel referred to, and why would I of all people have it? And to the extent of saving a werewolf territory? It was simply unbelievable!

We travelled on in silence, and I found myself suddenly interested in the lichen on the trees or the wild flowers on the ground. I looked anywhere but Azriel. I didn't know why, though. If he sensed the tension, the ease at which he walked certainly didn't show it.

It wasn't long before the trees thinned out. My ears picked up distant sounds that resembled the bustle and movement of a mall. By the time we stepped past the final trees and made foot onto the grassy expanse of the court grounds, I felt sick with nerves.

The first thing I saw were the wolves. Wolves. The words sent a shock through me, almost as much as the sight of the hulking beasts themselves.

My heart hammered in my throat, and I found myself slowing to a stop. They strode alongside people in coloured cloaks, chattering like friends going about their daily business, as though nothing were out of the ordinary. The beasts' eyes glinted an array of unnatural colours, colours that sent sharp spikes of panic through me as they flashed in the sunlight. And with my tattered clothes and small frame, it occurred to me then–

I was vulnerable.

I didn't have that muted animalistic grace they carried themselves with, nor did I have the strength that seemed to ripple along their muscles. I was frail and scrawny; pale as though I hadn't seen the sun in days. They all seemed to holster this strange radiance, and it had nothing to do with the perfect beauty of their faces.

They were born into this. For me, it hadn't even been a day. And, looking at them now, it seemed impossible that I could one of them.

I swallowed. I needed to find a cure. Fast.

"Kyra?" Azriel asked, noticing I'd stopped. I found it a great effort to rip my wide eyes from the beasts and focus on him. I saw again those unnatural shades of blue, ones that sent thrills of panic through me. Azriel was one of them. I seemed to keep forgetting that.

Sensing my distress, he stepped forward, offering an arm. "Come, dear," he whispered. His lips lifted into a small smile. "They will not bite you so long as you're with me."