Chapter 13

A/N: These next two chapters are flashbacks

3 years ago

It's been six months since the big battle against Thanos. Six months since they lost Tony. Bucky sits in his apartment, lamenting the past and how he got here. Ever since he came back, he has been giving Steve his space. When Steve returned the stones, he came back different. Having Nat back was great, but something changed in Steve. Granted, in the last 70 years, they haven't had time to stop and actually talk about where they stand. Bucky figured since men liking each other was accepted in this century, they could finally be together. He looks back at all their stolen kisses, touches, and almost make out sessions. Should I call him? Should I just show up to his place? He even tried going on a few dates, with both men and women. He found he wasn't attracted to the men that way like he was with Steve, and the women never seemed interested in getting to know him. Just his past and affiliations. Drinking the last of his beer, he gets up and wonders to the fridge. Man he could use some of that Asgardian shit. It's the only stuff he can get drunk on. As he closes the fridge, his phone buzzes with Steve as the caller ID. His heart flutters as he answers. "Hey Steve." "Hey Buck. How are you?" "Uh, good. You?" "Fine I guess. Listen, I'm calling you to see if wanted to to a party that Nat is putting together tomorrow. You in?" Bucky thinks about it. "Sure. Where is it?" " I'll pick you up. Be ready at 6pm." Bucky smirks and decides to push a little. "It's a date." He can hear Steve chuckle on the other end then hangs up.

Bucky takes a last look in the mirror. He pulled his long hair back into a small bun in the back, he decided to spruce up a bit and trim his beard to just scruff, and he was wearing black jeans with a tight black shirt. "Not too bad Barnes. Not too bad." He pulls his leather jacket on and checks his watch. Its 5:58pm. He decides to splash on some cologne to just add an extra touch. He then hears a knock at the door and when he opens it, Steve is standing there. Bucky can't help to give him a once over. "Steve, you look good." Steve also gives Bucky a once over. He cleaned up really good. "Yea, thanks. You too." They linger in the doorway, just staring at each other, waiting to see if the other will make a move. "Um, we better get going. Don't wanna be late." "Yea, ok." Bucky shuts his door and silently admonishes himself for not just dragging Steve into his place and kissing him.

Once in the car, the sexual tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. "So, what's Nat celebrating?" "Her birthday." "Thanks for inviting me. I'm really glad you called." Steve felt his face go a little red. He's been wanting to call him but he keeps chickening out at the last minute. "You're welcome. And I've been meaning to call you, it's just works been busy." "I get it Steve." Bucky watches as Steve's hand rest on the center console. He decides to be bold and he slowly moves his metal hand and lightly brush his hand with his. Steve feels Bucky's metal hand brush his and for a brief moment, he relaxes and lets it happen. Bucky takes his hand and caresses Steve's with his thumb. Not wanting to ruin the moment, Bucky looks at Steve then looks out the window and watches the city go by. When they get to the Avengers compound, Steve parks and they both just sit in the car, their hands still intertwined. "Steve, I know that we haven't been able to really discuss..." He gestures between and himself and Steve. "Us, but I just want to let you know that my feelings then are the same now." Steve takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. For a moment, all he wants to do is grab Bucky and kiss him in the car like a couple of teenagers. But, the logical part of him knows he can't. He takes his hand from Bucky and gets out of the car. Bucky feels crushed like he did something wrong. He grits his teeth holding in the tears that threaten to fall. Steve looks back and sees the hurt on his face. It hurts him as well and heads inside before he does something he will regret. Bucky heads in a few minutes later, in a sour mood. He heads straight to the bar and orders a Bruichladdich X4+1. He can't get drunk, but he sure as hell was gonna try.

As the party rages on, Steve mingles with the other guests, Avengers, and of course Nat. "Hey Rogers, you ok?" "Yea, why?" He sips his beer and glances ever so slightly at Bucky who is knocking back as much liquor as he can. Nat notices Steve's line of vision "Because you brought Barnes here then don't even talk to him all night. Now he's drinking like he wants to drown." Steve doesn't know what to say. Nat comes closer so no one else can hear them. "Did something happen between you two? You know you can talk to me about anything." "I know Nat." He looks around and whispers in her ear. "We held hands on the way here. I don't know why I let myself do that. Then he told me he still had feelings like in the 40s. I guess I got spooked, then I left him in the car." Nat's eyes got big and she slapped Steve in the chest. "You serious? That was a douchebag move. No wonder he's pissed." Steve rubs his chest and drinks the rest of his beer. "I know Nat. I feel bad, but I can't act on my feelings." "Hmm. Well just for that I am officially team Barnes now." With that she strolls of toward Bucky. Steve knows she wont say anything, but she was right.

As the evening winds down, only the Avengers are left. Sitting around the lounge area are Thor, Clint, Nat, Steve, Bruce, Sam, Sharon, Wanda, and Pietro. Bucky never leaves the bar. "So what do we do now?" Thor sips his Asgardian concoction. "We could play truth or dare?" Clint suggest and the group agrees. "Since I suggested it, I will go first. Nat, truth or dare?" "Hmm...dare." "I dare you to give a lap dance to the hottest person here." Nat laughs and looks around and decides on Wanda. She goes over and slowly strips a little and wiggles her ass on Wanda's lap. Wanda giggles and blushes. She finishes with a kiss on Wanda's nose. "Sam, truth or dare?" The game goes several rounds, mostly truths and a couple of dares. Nat wonders over to Bucky. "Come over and hang with us Barnes." She giggles as she is getting pretty drunk. He scoffs "No thank you." "C'mon Bucky, it's my birthday!" He looks at her and laughs a little at her tipsiness. "Fine, but only because it's your birthday Ms. Romanoff."

Bucky joins the group, sitting next to Sam. Most everyone is drunk by this point, even Thor. Nat decides to have some fun with Steve and sits on Bucky's lap. She sees Steve take a breath and smiles. Sam takes his turn. "Bucky, truth or dare?" He groans. "Dare, I guess." Sam smiles a wicked grin. "I dare you to make out with Sharon." Sharon blushes and Bucky glances at Steve. "Okay." He goes over to Sharon and sits next to her. He takes her face and kisses her good and hard. She responds, straddles him, then she sticks her tongue down his throat. He's not really a fan, but he sees in his peripheral vision Steve isn't happy, so he just follows suit. He pulls away then goes back to sit next to Sam, Nat resuming her position on his lap.

It's Nat's turn again. "Steve, truth or dare?" "Truth." "Oh c'mon, you never do a dare!" Nat leans over Sam and both he and Bucky laugh. "Fine. Dare." "So since we have had Clint kiss Thor, Bucky kiss Sharon, I kiss Sam, I dare you to kiss..." Bucky stiffens as he already knows what she is going to say. "Barnes." "Nat, seriously?" "Oh c'mon Cap. If I had to kiss blondie over there than you kiss scruffy." Clint snickers as he says this, Thor playfully winking. "Scruffy?" Nat turns around and caresses his jawline "Well, you area bit scruffy." He nudges Nat off his lap as him and Steve stand up reluctantly. "Let's just get this over with." Bucky tries not to look at Steve and Steve does the same. They get close and quickly peck then separate. "No, no. Has to be for at least for 10 seconds!" Thor yells. "Fuck." Bucky puts his hands in is pocket so he's not tempted to hold him. They kiss and both of them can feel the electricity flow between them. Steve counts to ten then reluctantly breaks the kiss. "You happy Nat?"

"Much. Now it's time for me to get my beauty sleep, so lets disperse! Don't forget the guest rooms are on this side!" She points the opposite direction of her room. Bucky looks at Steve and walks toward to door. "Bucky, just stay here." "No, I want to go home. I'll get a cab or something." He walks out the door and Steve is about to walk out to get him when Sharon clings to him. "Hey there Steve. You wanna join me for a nightcap?" " Umm, sure. Just give me minute ok?" "OK, I'll be at the bar." Steve runs out to the parking lot and sees Bucky on his phone finding a cab. "Buck, just take my car. I'll get it tomorrow." He throws him the keys and Bucky catches them easily. "Look Bucky, you're right. We need to talk about, this thing between us." "They're called feelings Steve." "You sure you don't' want to stay? I'm having a nightcap with Sharon and..." Bucky's eyes get wide. "A nightcap?! You really are a dick Steve Rogers." He tosses the keys back and a car pulls up. "Thanks, but I got a ride."