𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙤𝙣𝙚

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
"Prisoners"
——

"We should get back to the group" Jane says as she looks around in the dark where little to no light is shining through

"We should get back to the group" Jane says as she looks around in the dark where little to no light is shining through. Jane peaks her head through the corner and sees multiple walkers coming in her direction and quickly turns back around to face Glenn.

"This way. This way" Jane says as she gently pushes Glenn towards the other hallway. Glenn shines his flashlight and breathes heavily while looking around. "I think this is where we spilt up. We can go down that hallway and the door should be down there" Glenn says and Jane nods her head looking around.

They start to walk side by side silently for a few minutes until Jane decides to start the conversation. "Do you think anyone else is here?" Jane asks looking over to Glenn who shines his flashlight in front of them.

"I doubt we've made so much noise already I'm sure we would have seen them already" Glenn responds and a scream is heard not to far away along with a lot of ruckus and Jane thinks it could be the group.

"Who was that?" Glenn asks and Jane shrugs her shoulders as she grabs Glenn's arm and starts running towards the noise. They see a bunch of light shining through one hallway and when they turn in the hallway they see the two big doors are wide open and everyone rushing to Hershel who lies on the ground in the cafeteria.

Jane and Glenn rush to the group and look down to see Hershel has been bitten on the calf. Maggie kneels next to him crying her eyes out and she looks up at Glenn for comfort. Glenn and Jane lock eyes and Jane clears her throat then looks away from the two as Glenn bends down and comforts Maggie.

Rick, in an attempt to save Hershel, amputates his leg with a hatchet, causing him to go into shock and pass out from the ensuing blood loss. "Take him to Carol!" Rick orders as a group of them carry Hershel back to cell block C leaving Daryl and Jane in the cafeteria catching their breaths.

Jane hears footsteps gliding on the ground and turns around to face the door that's wide open. She looks to Daryl who is prepared to fire. Jane grabs her gun and cocks it back also prepared to fire, thinking it's just a few walkers. While Daryl prepares to fire, him and Jane realize they are not walkers but are actually survivors living in the prison.

The prisoners start walking in one by one. There's one with long hair and his jumpsuit is wrapped around his waist, two tall bald buff men, An older looking man with a hairy beard and hair that went down to almost his shoulders and a man who has very little hair and was definitely the smallest out of that group.

"That's far enough" Daryl states with his crossbow ready. "Cell block C— Cell 4, that's mine, gringo" The man states sternly looking through the cell door from where he's standing. "It's must be your lucky day. You can leave" Jane says as she holds her gun towards the men in-front of her.

"What you got goin on in there?" The tall man asks and Jane continues to hold her gun with her finger on the trigger. "It ain't none of your concern" Daryl answers and the long haired fella pulls out a small hand gun and points it at Daryl, "Don't be telling me what's my concern" The man demands and Jane cocks back her gun and takes a step forward.

"Chill man. That old dudes leg is messed up" The man says nicely and Jane looks around at the prisoners standing in front of her. "Besides we're free now. Why are we still in here?" The man asks.

"He's right" Daryl says sternly continuing to point his crossbow there way. "Yeah, and I got to check on my old lady" One of the buff men state. "A group of civilians breaking into a prison you got no business being in— got me thinking there ain't no place for us to go" The man calls out and Jane and Daryl lock eyes for a second.

"Why don't you go find out?" Daryl questions. "Maybe we'll just be going now" The older man says with his slight country accent. "We ain't leaving". "You ain't staying here either" T-Dog voices popping out the corner and the man doesn't hesitate to point his weapon towards T-Dog.

"Hey! Hey! Put it down" Jane calls out and the man with the gun looks flustered as he looks around the room. "This is my house, my rules, I go where I damn well please" The man states.

"We can talk if you put the damn gun down" Jane says and the man scoffs. "Ain't happening sweetheart" The man says looking Jane up and down and Jane lifts her eyebrows. "What'd you call me?" Jane questions.

"We ain't gonna tell you again. Leave" Daryl interrupts. Rick rushes through the cell doors trying to resolve the situation. "Everyone relax. There's no need for this" Rick says with his hand towards the fella with the gun.

"How many of you in there". "Too many for you handle" Rick replies sternly looking the man up and down. "You guys rob a bank or something?" The man asks and Jane lets out a humorless laugh. "Why don't you take that man to a hospital" He suggests and Jane slowly puts her gun down.

"How long have you guys been here?" Jane asks and the men look to each other and don't provide an answer. "There is no hospital, no military, no police, there's nothing. The dead walk among us" Jane explains the man are still so confused and are left speechless. "What?" The man says and Jane, T-Dog, Daryl and Rick look to each other.

"How long you been in that cafeteria?" Rick asks. "Um— Like 10 months" He answers and Jane widens her eyes, jaw almost dropping. "A riot broke out. Never seen anything like it" One of the other men comes out and says. "Attica on speed, man" The country man voices. "I heard about dudes going cannibal, dying, coming back to life?" The little man says kind of shocked at the words leaving his lips.

"One guard looked out for us, locked us up in the cafeteria. Told us sit tight, threw me this piece, said he's be right back" The long haired man with gun says telling his side of the story. "Yeah, and that was 292 days ago".

"We were thinking that the army or the national guard should be showing up any day now" The man says and Jane shakes her head slowly. "There is no army" Rick states and they all furrow there eyebrows in confusion.

"What do you mean?". "There's no government, no hospitals, no police. It's all gone" Rick says and the man are left speechless. "Okay, well we got families. You got some type of phone?" The man steps up and asks. "You just don't get it, do you?" Daryl questions. "There's no more phones, no computers. Half of the population has been wiped out" Jane adds.

"Ain't no way" The man says. "We can show you" Jane says pointing towards the windows.