𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧

CHAPTER FOUR
"You won't make it out there"

Everything topside is automatically locked down

Everything topside is automatically locked down. "When that door closes, it won't open again - you heard me say that," Jenner points out as Rick tries to demand that he open the door.

"It's better this way", Jenner says. When Rick presses him about what happens when the clock gets to zero, Jenner reminds the survivors where they are. "To prevent organisms from getting out if the building's security was ever compromised, HITs (High-Impulse Thermobaric fuel-air explosives as defined by Vi) would deploy, setting the air on fire. It would destroy the building and everything inside" Jane mumbles to herself trying to calculate how she can get herself and this group out of her alive.

"There's no hope. Last night, you said you knew it was just a matter of time before everybody you loved was dead," Jenner argues trying to help the case and convince Rick and his group to accept their fate. "Jenner, no one has to die! Why are you doing this? There are children here" Jane states and Jenner scoffs. "It's the only way" Jenner says looking to Jane.

"But it's not— let them go Jenner" Jane pleads as Jenner furrows his eyes brows at Jane. "Are you seriously siding against me right now? I made you matter. Made sure people here did treat you like a child but turns out you are. Just a little baby who can't handle the truth" Jenner argues gripping Janes arms tightly. "Hey, Let her go" Andrea and Lori help protect Jane and push Jenner away from her.

Daryl and Shane futilely attempt to break through the door with axes and guns, "That door is built to withstand a rocket launcher. Your not going anywhere" Jenner states as he sits down comfortably in his seat. Rick, T-Dog, and Dale throw Daryl a wielding an axe. Shane pulls out his shot gun and points it at Jenner and Jenner seems unfazed while tears pour out of Janes eyes. Glenn stands next to Jane.

"I know this is scary but Jane your smart. You have to help us out of here" Glenn says and Jane shakes her head. "I don't know, there's so much going on, I only knew so about the CDC. I don't know" Jame states going on and on when Glenn places a hand on her shoulder.

"Breathe first, okay?" Glenn says as Jane breathes in and out while Rick talks down Shane as he points an automatic gun in Jenner's defeated and unaffected face. "If you kill him, we'll never get out of here," Rick states as he tries to reason with Shane.

"Why Jenner stayed if he didn't think there was any hope?" Rick asks and Jane turns her head to the conversation. "His wife. She died and he made a promise then ruined it by being drunk during the experiment and setting everything on fire" Jane states and Jenner stands up quickly but Rick forces him back down in his seat.

"I'll open the doors but you have to find your own way out from there" Jenner states and Jane clears her throat. "I already know how to do that so open the door" Jane states and Jenner slowly stands up in his seat and opens the door to the control center.

"Go!" Jane shouts as some people start rushing out of the room. "I'm grateful", Rick says before he exits, but Jenner counters, "the day will come when you won't be". He shakes Rick's hand and pulls him close, whispering something in to his ear.

"Jane come with us" Rick says stepping towards Jane. "Are you sure?" Jane asks and Rick puts his hand out "I don't think you wanna die, not right now" Rick states and Jane shakes her head as she places her hand in Rick's and shakes it. "We've got four minutes left - come on!" Glenn shouts causing Rick to hurry up and rush out of the room.

"You won't make it out there" Jenner says as Jane is by the door about to leave. Jane turns around and faces Jenner, "It was nice knowing you Dr. Jenner" Jane says as Jenner nods his head.

"You too.. Dr. Monroe" Jenner says calling her by her respected name before she leaves. Jane rushes out of the room and meets the group outside in the lobby the group finds the doors locked and they pound helplessly on the windows. "They won't break" Jane says as Shane lifts his rifle. "There also bullet proof" Jane says and Shane puts his gun down.

"I know it's weird but does anyone have a grenade at all!" Jane shouts and looks around at everyone. "Why would we have—" Rick begins until Carol pulls one out and shows everyone. ""When I washed your uniform? I found this in your pocket." Carol states.

"Okay! If you throw it by the window it'll break" Jane states and Shane furrows his eyebrows. "How?" Shane asks. "Science" Jane states as everyone takes cover and Rick quickly detonates the grenade, blasting out one of the windows with mere minutes to spare before decontamination.

The survivors including Jane run to the cars, shooting at nearby walkers as they run. "Wait! Isn't there more of you?" Jane asks as she backs away from the RV and Glenn looks back at her. "We don't have time. Come on" Glenn rushes before Jane turns around and sees Dale and Andrea emerge from the building.

"Look!" Jane shouts as Glenn widens his eyes and jumps at Jane and puts his arm around her waist and flips her around so she's on top and he falls on the ground instead. The CDC erupts in a fiery explosion at the same time Glenn and Jane hit the ground. Glenn uses his hand to hide Janes face as he hears glass flying everywhere. Jane lifts her head and looks down at Glenn as she is on top of him but quickly stands up and helps Glenn stand up also then Glenn motions Dale and Andrea to the RV.

Glenn and Jane get in the RV last and sit next to each other on benches close to the driver seating area and take deep breaths in unison. Shaken, Rick starts the engine, and the caravan drives away from the smoldering rubble, thick black smoke rising up behind them.

 Shaken, Rick starts the engine, and the caravan drives away from the smoldering rubble, thick black smoke rising up behind them

WORD COUNT: 1068