𝙩𝙬𝙤

CHAPTER TWO
"I haven't even grabbed the needle yet"

The other survivors file in to the CDC lobby in Atlanta

The other survivors file in to the CDC lobby in Atlanta. Dr. Edwin Jenner and Dr. Jane Monroe meet them at the door but Jenner has an automatic weapon. "Why are you here, and what do you want?" Jenner asks them and Jane widens her eyes as Jenner points his weapon at them. "A chance," The man in a light brown police uniform says simply with his hand out.

"Jenner..." Jane whispers as Jenner moves his eyes to look at her. Jane shakes her head at him and he slowly puts his weapon down but keeps it in his hands. "I'm sorry. I'm Jane. Dr. Jane Monroe" Jane greets as she shakes the man's hand. "Rick Grimes" Rick introduces with a nod of his head and Jane smiles nicely at him.

"If there gonna stay I want them all to have blood test" Jenner says and Jane sighs as she looks to Rick. "Mr. Grimes, you wouldn't mind would you?" Jane asks and Rick looks around at his people and down at his child. "No, we wouldn't mind at all" Rick says and Jane smiles as she looks over at Jenner who eyes the group up and down.

"Grab your things," Jenner tells them. "Once this door closes, it stays closed." Rick agrees, and they follow Jenner and Jane to the building's subterranean control center.

"So, What are all of your names?" Jane asks as everyone in the group introduces themselves. Most seem nervous and hesitant while some seem pleased to give their name. Jane learned everyone's name. Shane, Lori, Carl, Dale, Daryl, Andrea, Carol, Jacqui, T-Dog, Sophia, and Glenn.

"Do all doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asks as he watches Jenner walk in front of him. Jenner sighs and shrugs his shoulders, "There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough" Jenner says as Jane nudges his arm for his comment.

Carol notes that she's claustrophobic underground, and Jenner simply advises her not to think about it. Jane and Jenner lead the Survivors in to the control room. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room," he says, and the lights go up. "Welcome to Zone 5," Jane tells Rick and his group. Jane notices Glenn has a big smile on his face and he looks a lot more comfortable than he did when him and his group walked in here.

Looking around, "Where are all the other doctors?" Rick asks and Jane sighs clearing her throat. "Were all that's left," Jane replies in the nicest way possible. "Wait, so are you a doctor. I hope that doesn't sound rude you just look a lot younger" Lori asks and Jane smiles and nods her head. "Yes, I am or.. was a virologist here at the CDC" Jane answers and Jane notices Glenn staring at her but when she looks to him he turns his head away quickly but Jane ignores it and goes back to reality.

"Okay, blood test time. You get half I get half" Jenner states as he tosses a kit Janes way and she stands by a desk when half the group goes to her including Glenn and another half goes to Jenner.

First up was Rick. Jane lifted his shirt sleeve and rubbed it with rubbing alcohol and took a blood sample from him. "All done" Jane says and Rick stands up from his seat. "Um. Thank you Dr. It looks like you wanted us here more than him" Rick thanks and Jane smiles nodding her head as Rick walks over to his son and wife who are getting blood samples taken from Jenner. Jane ended up taking Daryl, T-Dog, and Shane's before it was Glenn's turn.

"And your the last one. Glenn" Jane says as she offers Glenn as seat. "I'm kind of like scared of needles so if you could go slow that would be awesome" Glenn says with a shaky voice when Jane chuckles softly as she lifts his shirt sleeve and his flinches.

"I haven't even grabbed the needle yet" Jane says and Glenn chuckles nervously. "Sorry" Glenn says looking away as Jane sighs. "Nope. All good" Jane says as she grabs the needle and Glenn sees it and stands up.

"Whew! Okay I'm sorry" Glenn says and Jane covers her mouth trying not to laugh. "Okay," Jane begins as she sets the needle down and walks over to Glenn placing both hands on his shoulder and walking him over to the chair.

"What we're you before all of this?" Jane asks trying to distract Glenn. Glenn clears his throat and looks around, "I- uh- delivered pizza's" Glenn answers honestly and Jane nods her head slowly as she sneaks a alcohol wipe. "Not as cool as a virologist I guess" Glenn says and Jane smiles softly as she rubs Glenn's arm with the alcohol wipe.

"Delivering pizza's is cool. What's your all time favorite pizza topping?" Jane asks and Glenn smiles letting out a sigh. "Pineapple" Glenn answers and Jane widens her eyes. "Oh, I might have made the wrong choice by opening that door" Jane jokes and Glenn scoffs jokingly as Jane sneaks a blood sample needle without Glenn noticing.

"Come on, it's different and it's amazing" Glenn states and Jane shakes her head. "No way. Pepperoni is the best" Jane answers slowly inserting the needle without alarming Glenn. Glenn laughs and shakes his head, "That's so plain— wait what are you doing?" Glenn asks as he sees Jane putting her equipment away.

"Oh— I'm done. I just distracted you so I could take the sample" Jane says and Glenn stands up from his seat sliding his sleeve back over his arm. "Thank you" Glenn says and Jane smiles nodding her head as she walks over to Jenner who was finishing up on his last sample. "If we were infected, we'd all be running a fever.", Andrea scoffs and when she stands, she wobbles. "She hasn't eaten in days. None of us have," Jacqui explains to Jenner as she helps Andrea stable herself. Jane and Jenner look to each other as they both seem to have struck a sudden idea.

Jane and Jenner had set up a large round table in the CDC cafeteria and began putting food on the table to surprise there guest who have been unfortunate in that era lately. The group walks in and sees all of the lovely food placed out on the table and the two children rush to take there seats. Once everyone is settled at the table the group feasts in the CDC cafeteria, joyfully drinking wine and liquor from the fully stocked kitchen. They are beyond happy about finding a safe place to stay and a good meal. Glenn is drunk, much to Daryl's satisfaction.

When Jane first saw Glenn she could have never predicted him drinking, let alone drinking wine. The group fills the air with there chatter when Carl speaks up and asks to try some of the wine the adults are drinking and Jane chuckles as Rick says yes. Carl tries his first sip of red wine. He hates it, to Lori's delight, "Good job. Never drink it again" Lori says as she wipes her sons face.

Rick toasts Jane who has a glass of water and Jenner who has a glass of wine like the rest for there hospitality, and the doctor quietly raises his glass. Jane notices the other muscular man Shane isn't interested in celebrating. "When are you gonna tell us what the hell happened here?" Shane asks and Jane sets her water down on the table and suddenly starts to get nervous and looks to Jenner who explains that most of the doctors fled in his most calmest voice.

After dinner, Jane shows the group around the building, directing the children towards the rec room and telling everyone not to waste electricity. The survivors are thrilled to luxuriate in hot showers. "Well, Have fun. I'll see you all in the morning" Jane says as everyone scatters to pick a room and Jane feels complete to have met this nice group who cooperate nicely.

WORD COUNT: 1373

WORD COUNT: 1373