𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
"Dale"
——
TW: mention of rape

Daryl reports back to the rest of the group about what Randall has said

Daryl reports back to the rest of the group about what Randall has said. Daryl says Randall confesses that he was traveling with a heavily-armed group of 30 and the men have raped women before. Rick declares Randall a threat, and that he must be killed, "You can't just decide on your own to take someone's life," Dale objects, begging Rick to give him time to talk to the group and find another way. Rick agrees to give Dale the rest of the day.

Jane sits down on a log and shakes her leg after hearing what Randall has done. They saved him from death and he confesses this. Jane doesn't need time to think about she already knows what she wants.

After awhile Jane saw Dale going around trying to change peoples mind and he finally got to Dale. "Dale, I'm telling you now I'm not changing my mind. His group did horrible things, you can't ignore that" Jane protest and Dale sighs.

"He said that his group did these things not him. We can't decide a humans fate!" Dale argues and Jane scoffs. "Even if he didn't do these horrible things. He didn't stop them, he didn't stand up for them" Jane states and Dale is left speechless.

Jane looks in the distance and sees Carl is kneeling by Sophia's grave. Jane slowly walks over and approaches him he looks over and sends her a small smile as he sets flowers by her grave. "Those are nice" Jane says as she kneels next to Carl. "Carol says these were her favorite so I found some" Carl states and Jane smiles and nods her head.

"Do you believe in heaven?" Carl asks as he looks over at Jane. Jane clears her throat and lets out a sigh, "You know... I don't know what I believe anymore. The world isn't what it used to be you know?" Jane asks and Carl chuckles softly and nods his head.

"Yeah, I miss chocolate fudge" Carl jokes making Jane let out a laugh. "Yeah, Me too" Jane says as she looks down at Carl who stares back at Sophia's grave.

~~

The group gathers in the house. "Does anyone think Randall should be spared" Rick asks and Dale stands to his feet. Dale posits that the only people who think so are himself and Glenn, but Glenn too sides with Rick. "He's not one of us," Glenn offers.

"Just— give him a chance to prove himself" Dale pleads looking around at everyone, but the others insist they wouldn't feel safe with him around camp. "If we do this," Dale says, "We're saying there's no hope."

Dale pleads with the group to do what's right. Andrea eventually sides with him, but the others stay silent. Despondent, Dale leaves the room. "This group is broken," he says. Jane sits down in a chair and puts her head down. Afterwards once it became dark outside Rick, Shane and Carl went to the barn while everyone waited outside for the job to be done but everyone watches Shane storm out of the barn.

Rick brings Carl back to the camp and tells Lori what happened. "He wanted to watch," Rick says and Jane overhears and looks over to Carl who looks slightly upset that Randall didn't die. Everyone walks away from the situation. Jane went to the RV alone but minutes later Glenn walked in also.

"Have you seen Dale?" Glenn asks taking off his hat. "No, he's probably blowing off steam. We all did turn against him" Jane answers as she fidgets with her fingers while sitting down at the table.

"We did it for a good reason. I don't know why I sided with him to begin with I mean the guys— he's just disgusting" Glenn voices and Jane nods her head. "How— Um— How are you and Maggie?" Jane asks locking eyes with Glenn. "We're fine— I mean it's not like we're together— We're friends— or we're um, yeah I— Um" Glenn sitters and Jane chuckles. "Sorry I asked" Jane says putting her hand up to stop Glenn from embarrassing himself even further.

Glenn laughs and rests on hand on the counter while looking at Jane. Jane looks back at Glenn and continues to look at him until screams are heard in the distance drawing Glenn and Jane attention away from each other.

Glenn and Jane burst out of the RV while Daryl rushes outside and runs past them. Glenn and Jane start following behind and finally catch up to Daryl spotting him stab the walker in the head, then shouts for help. Glenn and Jane look down to see Dale is severely injured, his intestines have been exposed.

"Dale! It's Dale! Help!" Jane screams as she looks into Dale's eyes and he looks back at her, she can't help but start crying looking at everything unfold. Rick and the group arrive at Dale's side and are devastated at Dale's injuries. Hershel arrives and looks at his injuries, "I'm sorry, he can't be saved" Hershel says and instantly more tears fall down Jane's face as she looks at Dale suffering. Jane sees Carl rush over and he looks absolutely horrified an buries his head into his mothers lap. That must be so much for a little boy to see.

Andrea begs Rick to help Dale. Rick unholsters his gun, but can't shoot. Daryl takes the weapon and aims it at Dale's head. Dale gives him a faint reassuring smile, giving him permission to end his torment. Jane turns around buries her head into Glenn's shoulder and Glenn wraps his arm around her. "Sorry, brother," Daryl says sadly and fires the gun killing Dale. Jane jumped at the sound and Glenn held her tighter.

"Come on" Glenn whispers as he starts taking Jane away from the scene and back to the RV.

*sorry for the short chapter*