Blood of my Blood

Start from the beginning

"It broke in a duel."

I say with a wink and he giggles.

"You'll need another one. I have a feeling you'll get it."

Before I can say anything, he runs off, leaving me an Ashara behind. She chuckles.

"He's a good boy."

"Where's his mother?"

I ask and Ashara sighs heavily.

"Fever took her some years ago. And after his little stint he pulled with the Brotherhood Without Banners, I've raised him ever since."

I nod at that.

"And what of you? I was always told as a child that you had died right after my father."

I say and she grows really quiet after that. She doesn't answer for a long moment before looking up at me.

"All of the events surrounding your father's death are... complicated. Maybe I'll explain another time."

I nod sadly, wanting to know more about my father but I respect her boundaries. After all, we're still strangers.

"Your father was a great man, Evelyn. The greatest."

I smile and she leans back in her seat, reminiscing on the past.

"I still remember the night he met your mother at the Tourney of Harrenhal."

She chuckles and I feel intrigue as I lean closer to listen to the rest of her story.

"Legendary Kingsguard Ser Arthur Dayne, swept up off his feet by a common girl from the Riverlands. He loved her, even when his oaths and vows said no. When King Aerys II found out, he wanted Arthur's head but Lord Varys was able to convince him otherwise. Besides, Kingsguards have taken secret lovers before."

She pours out so much that I didn't know, it amazes me.

"And what was her name?"

"Marge Rivers."

I flinch at the first name. It's so similar to Maege.

"Are you alright?"

I nod, blinking a little as I rub my eyes.

"Yeah, it just..a lot to take in."

"Mm, I know it is, dear. We don't have to pour everything out all at once. You should go explore, maybe get to know Edric a little more, wash up, perhaps."

She remarks the last part and I look down at myself, absolutely filthy. The sand from the Red Mountains has stained red on my clothes along with mud and all kinds of other messes. My short and scruffy hair, extremely unkept.

"I find it strange, I would've figured you would have longer hair."

"I did. Then..."

I hesitate with my next part.

"Well, let's just say I lost a lot more than a foot of hair that night."