The Sokovia Accords

'Five years ago I had a heart attack- I'm dropped. Right in the middle of my bathroom. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and the triple bypass, I found something.'

The Avengers were all seated round the table, looking around at one another as Thaddeus Ross spoke at them, regarding the recent events not so long ago.

'Forty years in the Army had never taught me perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt, you have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who prefer the word vigilantes.'

Natasha spoke up. 'And what word would you use Mr Secretary?'

'How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders who inflict their will wherever they choose and who frankly seem unconcerned about what they leave behind.'

Ross presented an archive footage from New York, Washington D.C, Sokovia and Lagos, all showing destruction and civilians running for their lives. Steve's eye drifted towards Wanda, who visibly looked distressed at the footage shown in front of them.

'Okay,' Steve began. 'That's enough.'

'For years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But, I think we have a solution.'

Ross got passed a lengthy folder of paper and placed it in front of Wanda. She took one look at it before he spoke once more.

'Sokovia accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers should no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary.'

Steve rolled his lips and shook his head. 'The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel like we've done that.'

'Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?'

Truth is, nobody really knew where they were, they both disappeared a couple weeks ago. Thor had most likely gone back to Asgard on hearing the reformation of HYDRA, and Bruce, well nobody knew where he was.

'If I misplaced a couple of 30 Megaton nukes you can bet there would be consequences. Compromise, reassurance- that's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground.'

'So,' said Rhodey, 'There are contingencies.'

'Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords. Talk it over.'

'And if we come to a decision you don't like?' Questioned Natasha.

'Then you retire.'

Ross nodded his head at Steve and left the room with his guard, leaving the accords ready to sign on the table.

'Well those were a lot of big words that I did not understand, all I got from that is if you sign that paper then you all aren't really Avengers any more. Good luck with that one.' Lila joked, standing up from her chair and wrapping her arms around Bucky's neck.

'Yes, but Lila,' Wanda stated, 'Your name is on here too.'

Lila quickly untangled her arms from around his neck and ran over to the papers Wanda was holding. She took one look at them and threw them down on the table, and stormed out of the room.

'I'm not a fucking Avenger, why project their problems onto me!'

-

'Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have.'