Chapter One ; Run-Away Concert

“Clairedy!” 

I nearly fell into my locker when I heard my name being screamed from down the hall.

“Clairedy! Claire, you’ll never believe this,” Abby was quickly at my side within a span of four seconds. She’s the one of the select few I’ll allow to call me Claire. 

“I have a feeling I might.”

Abby has been counting down the days since three months ago to the biggest event in history; One Direction tickets coming out. Of course her rich little daddy bought her a front row ticket, and probably a backstage pass the moment they went up for sale. She already bought a ticket a month ago, so what was she freaking out about now? Let me guess:

“I got another One Direction ticket! The last one!”

People were staring at us, she was so loud. 

“I’ll alert the media,” I muttered back, shoving some books into my locker.

She tugged at my sleeve, refusing to give up at trying to impress me. “Don’t you know what this means? We can go together! We can meet them, backstage!”

I sighed. “Once again, I’ll alert the media.”

She gave me one of her huge grins, perfect white teeth glowing from underneath her pink glossed lips. “That’s not such a bad idea.” 

Flipping her strawberry blonde hair behind her shoulder, she added, “C’mon, Clarissa! What better thing do you have to do next Saturday?”

One Direction never impressed me. Yeah, they were cute, but that’s it. Just another cute boy band from a long string of others, yet love-struck teenage girls worship them like they’re gods. It’s absolutely insane. 

“Nothing. I’d much rather do nothing, no offense, then watch a bunch of obnoxious boys sing their hearts out while girls rip their hearts out for them. Sorry, not my type of a fun night.”

Don’t get me wrong; I felt bad for letting her down. But I couldn’t go through it all; the incredibly loud music blasting your eardrums to bits, the screaming that goes along with it, everything. It just wasn’t worth it. 

I heard her groan and instantly felt sorry for her. “Whatever, Claire, I guess I’ll just have to give it away to some hobo on the street...”

“You have fun doing that. Make sure the hobo is worthy.” 

She laughed, then replied enthusiastically, “No one is worthy of their holiness!”

That’s how everyday was; her drooling all over them, never shutting up. It was cute for a little while, but only for a little while. It started to get irritating, but now I just accept it. She wasn’t going to change for anybody except, you guessed it, One Direction. This I found absolutely ridiculous, you shouldn’t change for anyone but yourself in my opinion.

About a week went by and now the school school - mostly the female population - was talking about their concert. Abby was completely out of it, having random fits of hyperventilation every now and then, going on about seeing Harry’s dimples in person, or seeing whether Zayn still had the blonde streak in his hair and whatnot. Mostly I ignored her.

“You’re going to seriously regret not coming with me,” Abby said every time class ended, always adding another “seriously” at the end. And again I ignored her.

Well, school let out that Friday and before I knew it I was home. And as soon as I stepped in the house, brother dearest was at it again.

“Another lonely Friday night?”

“Shut up, Robbie.” I was not in the mood for him. I was never in the mood for him. 

“Just get over him.”

“It’s not that easy.” I could feel my temperature going up, I could feel my cheeks go hot. 

“You’re right. The first few months weren’t easy. But it’s been a year, Clarissa. He’s gone and you have yet to accept that.”

“You don’t know ANYTHING about me!” My fists clenched, eyes narrowed and shooting darts into him. “You don’t know a thing.”

“I’m trying to help you, Claire! The sooner you accept that he’s out of your life the better it would be for everyone.”

I grit my teeth together and stomped up the stairs and slammed the door to my room. Dad wasn’t coming home anytime soon, Jonah was out with friends, and I couldn’t stand deal with him all night. Just thinking of what it would be like - yelling, slamming doors, tears - made me want to slam the wall. So, I grabbed my phone and dialed the number as fast as I can. I felt like it was ringing forever, and I nearly jumped when she answered.

“Abby, what time are you leaving for that concert?”