Chapter 64

In the early hours of the next morning, Xia Liang was awakened by the ringing of his phone. He answered the call in a daze, and after a few seconds, woke up instantly.

Zhou Shuo on the side grabbed Xia Xia's legs and turned around to see Xia Liang sitting on the side of the bed silently with his mobile phone.

"Brother Liang, what's wrong?"

"Xiao Lin called and said that grandma is seriously ill..." 

Xia Liang's voice sounded a little hollow but he still remained calm. He turned around and said to Zhou Shuo, "I have to rush back to City B as soon as possible."

Zhou Shuo immediately turned over and got out of bed. "I'll go with you." As he said that, he lowered his head to call Xia Xia.

Xia Liang wanted him to stay with Xia Xia but after thinking about Xia Lin's anxious tone, their grandma probably didn't have much time. He had to bring Xia Xia back to meet her.

Xia Xia was still a child. She only slept for a few hours so she couldn't wake up right now. Zhou Shuo carried Xia Xia on his back and walked out of the door together with their luggage.

The three drove on the highway leading to City B. At this time, Xia Liang discovered that there was no one on the highway since it's still dawn, but there was a car following behind them who's maintaining a distance of more than ten meters.

Zhou Shuo noticed Xia Liang's eyes in the rearview mirror. He placed one hand on the back of Xia Liang's hand and patted gently. "Don't worry, that's my person." 

Xia Liang was startled first and then quickly understood. This is probably one of the "uncles" Xia Xia mentioned.

He was a little surprised. Even if Zhou Shuo joined the ABO family and took the initiative to take the responsibility of supervising Xia Xia, how could they really rest assure that the father and daughter would come back?

Although the people following behind are Zhou Shuo's subordinates, Xia Liang's afraid that they are also taking care of the responsibilities of supervising the two of them at the same time. 

When they arrived in City B, the sky was already bright.

Zhou Shuo found that after Xia Liang got off the expressway, he did not go in the direction of the old house of the Xia family but went directly in the direction of Song Yan's villa. 

"Why doesn't the old lady live in the old house now?" Zhou Shuo asked.

Xia Liang was silent for a moment before he said, "My dad... two years ago had a brain hemorrhage and passed away. Grandma couldn't stand the shock for a while and felt depressed, Her bones became worse than before so Xia Lin invited her to live with them and took care of her."

Zhou Shuo was taken aback. He didn't expect that Father Xia have passed away for four years now. If Old Mrs. Xia followed him in the afterlife, only Xia Liang and Xia Lin would remain in the Xia family.

"Last month, my grandma accidentally fell down the stairs. At that time, the doctor said that her cerebrovascular condition was not good. After I learned the news, I and Xiao Lin took turns taking care of her in the hospital but she was clamoring to be discharged. I thought it can be delayed for a while, I didn't expect for only a month..."

Zhou Shuo knew that it was futile to persuade him at this time. He held one of Xia Liang's hands tightly and did not speak any more. 

As the car drove into the villa, Xia Lin and Song Yan were already waiting for them at the door.

Seeing two people coming down in a car at the same time, Xia Lin was stunned. When he saw Zhou Shuo's face clearly, he could not speak due to the excitement. 

Song Yan reacted quickly. He looked at Zhou Shuo and asked, "When did you come back?"

"Last night." Zhou Shuo said, taking Xia Xia out of the car and asking her to greet everyone. 

Xia Xia just woke up. She rubbed her eyes and stared in a daze. 

"Hello, uncle and uncle."

Xia Lin, who suddenly became an uncle, didn't react for a while. 

Zhou Shuo patted Xia Xia's head lightly and reminded, "Did you forget it again? It should be called Uncle and Uncle." 

"Oh, uncle, uncle." Xia Xia changed her mouth very obediently.

(Sorry I didn't know the difference between the 1st and 2nd meaning of "uncle" that Xia Xia used.)

"It turned out to be Xia Xia!" Xia Lin finally realized the origins of this little girl and didn't care whether he was "uncle" or "uncle", and reached out to hug her.

He and Song Yan had been married for many years and had no plans to adopt a child so there were no toys or snacks for children at home. 

Song Yan went through a box for a long time before he found a few candies and stuffed them to Xia Xia.

Xia Xia was also obedient. Although she felt that a few candies were not rare, she still frankly took it and thanked Song Yan. 

After a few simple greetings, Xia Lin took them to the old lady's bedroom on the second floor. At this time, the old lady Xia was already lying on the bed, furious like a gossamer.

Xia Lin leaned in to Old Mrs. Xia's ear and whispered, "Grandma, brother is here to see you." 

Old Mrs. Xia's eyelids trembled and she slowly opened her eyes. Xia Liang sat down next to her bed and gently held her slightly raised hand. 

"...Ah," the old lady  said with difficulty, "now...the most worrying thing...is you."

Xia Liang burst into tears. He closed his eyes, forced his tears back, and said with a smile, "Grandma, look, I brought your great-granddaughter."

He guided Xia Xia's hand to the bed. Xia Xia is also a clever child. When she met Mrs. Xia, she said, "Great grandma, I am Xia Xia."

"Huh?" Old Mrs. Xia was taken aback. She looked at Xia Xia for a long while, her eyes clearly showing a strange brilliance.

"This...is this Xiao Liang's child?"

"Yes, grandma." Xia Liang said, "The child was left out before and Zhou Shuo only recently came back. I haven't told you before, I'm sorry." 

The old lady Xia asked again, "This child's mother is... "

Before Xia Liang spoke, he heard Xia Xia say, "Great grandma, I don't have a mother. I only have my father...and my uncle---". She didn't dare to say the second half of this sentence.

However, Mrs. Xia understood that the child's mother had passed away for some reason. She immediately held Xia Xia's hand for a moment of pity, and murmured with tears in her eyes, "Okay....she really looks like Xiao Liang...it's really embarrassing for the child...suffered so much outside... Grandma wants to accompany Xia Xia more but it's a pity that grandma is running out of time..."

These words touched Xia Xia somehow and she laid down on the bed and cried loudly.

Her crying caused the old lady to reassure her in a hurry that she no longer wanted to pursue the child's mother's wealth background. It was already a great fortune that she was still be able to see her great-granddaughter at the end of her life. . .

Thinking about it this way, the old lady lost most of the worries in her heart. She passed away peacefully in her sleep in the afternoon of that day.

(Five chapters left for this story 😭)