The Understanding

WARNING: talk of r4p3 and panic attacks.

I watched the clock tick by.

The fireworks were cool but there weren't much.

This park was mainly filled with drunk high schoolers and Mom's with babies.

"You wanna get out of here?" Zach whispered in my ear, "Um, where?" I was taken back by his sudden movements, "Anywhere." He smirked, his hand on my knee.

"Like, back to your house or?"

"I was thinking right here." His voice was sultry, deeper.

"Zach?" I asked.

"Mmm, that's my name." He said, kissing my neck.

Suddenly I was uncomfortable, "Zach what are you doing?"

"Shh, I know you want this too." His hand gripped my thigh, going more and more towards my body as he kissed my neck, "Zach let go." I said, trying to get him off me, "Zach move!" I said, thrashing under his grasp.

He moved up my neck with his lips to my face, forcing me to kiss him. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears as I began to shake, what is happening?

"Shut up Sofia, I know you want this."

"No. I don't want this. Get off me." I said, shoving him so he fell.

I quickly scrambled up, grabbing my stuff before storming off, tears spilling from my eyes.

"Get back here." He yelled, grabbing me by the elbow and pulling me to him, "Why the fuck would you kiss me in the cafeteria and then not want to have sex with me?" He said, not letting go of me, "Zach you're hurting me." I said, trying to remove myself.

"What? Did you get dared to go out with me?" He spat, gripping harder onto my elbow.

I couldn't see through my tears. How the hell can no one else see this happening right now?

"I thought you were a nice guy, turns out I was wrong." I finally got myself out of his grip and he scoffed, "You're a fucking virgin, aren't you?" He laughed, "Dumb fucking virgins."

After he left, I sat on the grass for a while. Mostly everyone had cleared away and I was the only one left. But it had just hit me, I had no ride home.

I tried to slow my panicked breathing as my finger hovered over the call button, this is a bad idea, he hates me.

But neither Mason or Evelyn picked up.

But before I could even process, the phone was already ringing. He picked up on the second ring, "Hello?" He said, his voice was like music.

I tried to open my mouth to speak but no sound came out.

"Hello? Sofia? Are u there? Why did you call me?" He sounded angry, I should probably hang up.

"I-'I'm sorry. I didn't mean to c-call you." I sniffled, wiping my nose, "Sorry." I knew it was a bad idea. I swallowed my anxiety, feeling another wave of emotion hit me.

"Wait- what happened?" James asked, I suck in a breath, I could either tell him and risk everything, or not tell him and be stranded here, "Zach left me at the park without a ride and the last train just left." I cried again, feeling my anxiety peaking.

"Son of a bitch." I heard him mumble, "Where are you? I'm coming to get you."

"No James-"

"Sofia, where are you?"

I bit my lip, "Clyde park, in the clearing."

I heard rustling over the line and then he spoke, "I'll be there soon."

+ + +

I was staring at the stars when I heard footsteps squishing on the grass, "Sofia?" James called my names. I suddenly sat up, my heart beating faster than before.

I ran to him, more tears spilling from my eyes as I threw my arms around him, "Woah? What's going on?" He asked, rubbing my back reassuringly.

"Zach he- I- there were fireworks and I- kissed and I- shit I c-can't breathe."

James's eyes suddenly widened and he grabbed my face, "Sofia, you're having a panic attack. Just look at me okay?"

His voice was foggy as was my vision, "Zach came onto me. I couldn't get him off." I whispered.

I sucked in another breath, James warm hands on my face, "What did you say?" James asked.

The event replayed in my mind and I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to forget about it. "Make it stop!" I yelled, pressing my head to his chest.

"Shhh, it's okay." James said to me, stroking my hair.

"I'm going to kill him!" I could hear the anger in his voice, "No. It's my own fault." I sniffled, wiping my nose, "I never should have kissed me."

There was suddenly silence between us, "James I-"

"I know. Evelyn told me." He admitted.

"I'm sorry for what I said. I was just hurt."
I nodded, "I know."

"I picked truth." He said, my eyes flitted up to his face, "Turns out you're not getting targeted. There's a pattern in the way they do things."

"What was the truth?"

James sighed, rubbing his eyes, "I had to tell my Mom I cheated on my ex."

His voice had a hint of guilt and the rest of sadness. I felt terrible, "Did you?" I hesitated.

"Yes."

Oh.

"She cheated first and got pregnant, but told me it was mine, so I cheated."

Oh, okay then!

"And let me guess, the text said to only tell your side of the story."

He nodded, "I'm glad someone gets it!" He almost chuckled.

Thankfully him calming me down had distracted me from everything, so I was no longer hysterical.

"Thank you for coming to get me." I stumbled over my words.

"Anything for you." James said quietly.

His hand was still on my face as his thumb stroked the hair from my cheek to my ear.

I leaned into his touch and closed my eyes, feeling very tired all of a sudden.

"You're so beautiful." His voice was barely above a whisper but I heard it.

"What?"

I saw his intake of breath, like he was arguing in his mind, "Can I kiss you?"

I was too speechless to talk so I just nodded, my heart beating faster than ever.

For the right reasons this time, though.

His lips touched mine and I swear I melted. All of my worries and cares melted away into a puddle of glee.

I sighed into his mouth, feeling him grip the back of my shirt with his fist, pulling me closer to him.

His tongue swiped my teeth and I shivered, feeling him smile against me.

I pulled away first, needing to catch my breath. I blushed and his my face, "Beautiful." He winked.

+ + +

AHHHH MY BABIES

Thanks for reading lovelies, much love for you Xx