Chapter 11: Progess & Close Calls

Start from the beginning

I waved my hand, and when I opened my eyes, a small shimmer of magic surrounded the rock. I smiled at my small victory, but I got myself ready to do it a few more times.

Timeskip to 9:45 am-

I sat panting on the rock. My staff was sitting next to me, leaning against the rock. I was physically drained from all of the training, and I didn't even practice my Knight Enchanter spells! Feeling thirsty, I slowly got up and walked over to the water. I cupped my hands and dipped them into the water, then I drank the water from my cupped hands. I would have conjured a water bottle, but I was way too exhausted to use magic. The best I could do was rest, and drink more water from the lake. But most unfortunately, my resting was short lived. Because I got the feeling of being watched, and it didn't feeling like it was Lucas, or a pack member.

I slowly turned around and walked back to the large rock. I grabbed my staff and stood ready.

"I'm not stupid, come out!" I shouted.

"Well what do you know Seth?" a male's voice rang out through the clearing. "He's not as clueless as we thought he was." Two mages, both with staves, stepped into the clearing, and walked until they were a few meters away from me. One looked around 5'10, muscular, tanned skin, light facial hair, sky blue eyes, and short brown hair. The other was slightly shorter, at 5'9, with pale skin, short wavy blonde hair, muscular, and chocolate brown eyes. Both looked tough, but if I wasn't so exhausted, I could easily take them. So to buy time, and for me to regain more strength, I knew talking was my best move.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" I asked calmly. The taller one threw his head back and laughed. What a weirdo.

"I'm Kameron, and this is Seth", he said, gesturing to the shorter male. "And we are here to take you hostage." Well, shit. Straight to the point I guess.

"You should know, I'm the mate to an Alpha werewolf", I warned. This time, Seth laughed.

"We'll just kill him", he snickered. The. Fuck. You. Will. Before they could realize what I was doing, I made a huge fireball in my left hand, and hurled it at Seth's face. He shrieked and dropped to the ground. I then used my Fade Step spell, which allows a mage to travel in a fast blur for a couple of seconds. I stopped right next to Kameron and I formed my Spirit Blade, and I started swinging it at him. He dodged every swing, and then he swept his staff, blasting me back with a huge blast of energy.

I went flying, my Spirit Blade now faded, and I didn't stop flying until my back hit the rock. I yelped in pain as my left arm popped out of its socket. Taking quick action, I pointed my staff and put up a strong protection spell. As the other mages tried to break through it, I desperately tried to magically connect with Lucas's thoughts. I would have teleported, but it could be dangerous with a dislocated arm, and there was no fucking way I was letting those two idiots track me to where the pack house was.

"Lucas? Lucas!" I called out, desperately.

"Max? How are you doing that?" I heard his voice in my head. I sighed in relief.

"I'll explain later, just get to the lake!" I said, even more desperately. "I'm under attack, and I'm badly injured!"

"I'm coming, hold on a little bit longer!" he said, panicking.

"Be careful, they're mages!" I warned. "Oh, and don't attack the dragon!"

"WHAT!?" Lucas shouted.

I closed the link, not answering him. Using some of the last strength I had, I summoned my dragon amulet, and put it around my neck. I glanced to see ice coming out of Seth's staff, and fire coming out of Kameron's. I reckoned that electricity would do. I lifted the protection spell, and the two mages stopped using magic, and looked as me curiously, as I tossed my staff behind the rock.

"Form of, a Vinsomer!" I hollered. My amulet glew bright green against my chest. The light overtook me as I felt my transformation. As the light dimmed, I looked down to see both Seth's and Kameron's faces twisted with fear. I racked one of my front talons on the ground, and let out an earth-shaking roar. Being a dragon, is perfection. Well, Lucas is perfection, this is a close second. Just as the mages came to their senses, I was already inhaling, and I breathed electricity at them. Just a millisecond before the electricity hit them, they used Fade Step and evaded it.

They started to run back to the trees. So I lifted my wings, and began flapping them, but not taking off. This was to create wind powerful enough so that it would suck them closer to me so I could attack them better. Once they were close enough, I stopped flapping my wings, and I tried to swipe at them. They either dodged or blocked evey hit, so I resulted to breathing balls of electricity at them. But they had a trick up their sleeves.

As I focused on Seth, Kameron used Fade Step and stopped by my right back leg. He then used his Spirit Blade and struck my leg, leaving nasty slashes across my scales. I shrieked with pain and jumped away from him, but he used Fade Step again and slashed my left front leg with his Spirit Blade. I shrieked again and limped away, now inhaling and attempting to blast electricity at him. He leapt away, but he dropped his staff, and I turned it to ash by breathing more electricity on it.

Kameron shouted in frustration, and yelled at Seth for his staff, to which Seth reluctantly tossed to him. Kameron caught it in his right hand, then went invisible. Realizing that Lucas still wasn't here, I began to panic. I didn't get to panic for long, because Kameron popped next to my right front leg and slashed it, making me do another dragon-like scream and limp away. I brought my head down and tried to bite him, but I missed every time. He went to my back left leg and tried to strike it, but I lifted it in time and kicked him away.

He landed several meters away, but before I knew it, Seth was there, and he sent a blast of ice at my left back leg. He left huge marks where the ice blackened my scales due to the freezing temperatures of it. I roared in agony. I tried to get away, but extreme pain shot through all my legs, causing me to roar again and collapse. My legs were bleeding, I was on the ground, helpless, and Lucas still hadn't arrived. The mages advanced on me, and I weakly told my amulet in Dragon to turn me back. It glowed green, and the light engulfed me, turning me back to my normal form.

I fell to my knees, unbearable pain coursing through my body, my arms and legs bleeding, and the pain from my dislocated arm was excruciating. I was done for. I silently prayed to both Demeter and Selene to let Lucas still live a happy life, even if I wasn't part of it. But just as Kameron raised Seth's staff, a giant wolf, black as midnight, jumped from the trees, and pounced on him. The wolf quickly bit his head off, but Kameron didn't make a sound before losing his head. And if he did, I didn't hear it. More wolves jumped out from the trees and surrounded Seth, and the midnight black wolf looked at them from afar. Seth made a ball of electricity in one hand, and a ball of ice in the other.

He was about to throw the ball of ice, but I held out my hand, clenched it in a fist, and icy blue magic covered my bloody hand, as I encased him in a huge block of ice. Then, the midnight black wolf turned to me, and his royal blue eyes met mine. Lucas. I shakily tried to get up, despite the pain, to hug him, but I fell back to my knees. The pain was too unbearable. Immediately Lucas was shifted and at my side.

"By the Gods", he gasped, looking at my wounds more closely. "We need to get you to Dr. Pollard, now! Are you able to climb on my back? It will be faster if I carry you as a wolf."

"I'll try", I whimpered. Using what little strength I had left, I summoned my staff and used it as support as I stood up. Lucas gave me a worried look, then shifted to his wolf again. I put a temporary spell on my staff, making it levitate and glide along with me, so I didn't have to carry it. I also did the same to the ice that held Seth.

I very carefully, being mindful of my arms and legs, climb onto Lucas's back, as he knelt down in his wolf form to help me get on. I clutched my right hand with his fur, my left arm hanging loosely at my side from being dislocated. I buried my face into his soft fur and told him he could go. Lucas instantly sprinted into the forest, back to the pack house, and to this Dr. Pollard. This, was a close call for sure.

                 To be continued...

AN: So what did you all think of that battle? Should I rewrite it, or leave it? Some of the dragon's attacks in that video are like ones I described, so all rights to Bioware for making them up! 

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Bye Besties! 💙