xvi

She must've been hurting too much.

She must've fought many times, hoping for better days to come but they did not. Peace for her must be evasive. It must've eluded her whenever she needed the peace in her sleepless nights. It must've hurt her to leave just yet but she must've been tired and the only thing that would free her is leaving.

She must've been free, at last.

I hurt for you, darling. For the wounds you never get to heal. For the rumblings you wished to share to someone but you never got to. I hurt for your unspoken thoughts. I hurt for the battles you fought alone. For the cruel days and the restless nights you spent struggling. I hurt for the days you were misunderstood. I hurt for your silence when all you wanted was to be heard. I hurt for the people you left behind. I hurt for you leaving the people you love.  I hurt for everything that slip out of your grasp; your hopes and dreams. Your life.

But you are free, at last.

You will forever remind me of your battle. And even when I did not get to know you personally which I wish I do,  I knew, I heard and I feel. I'm one of those who saw what was beyond the surface.

Sweet soldier, I knew you've been brave.  Wherever you are right now, you will always remind me of my own.

xvi: “continued battle”