Suicide Attempt

You sighed, fiddling with your phone as you waited for the next train for Aoyama-Itchome to roll up. You slept a little later than usual, which caused you to miss the train you usually took. Of course, that only meant you were going to be on-time for school and not early. For you, arriving thirty minutes early was law. However, today you would be lenient on that law. You couldn't pass up that extra fifteen minutes of sleep after texting Ryuji until one in the morning. He was such a crackhead sometimes.

You tried to stifle your yawn, but it managed to escape your mouth anyway. "Not a morning person?" a familiar voice asked you. You turned your head to see Akira giving you a small, gentle smile. Your face morphed into a grin, happy to see your newest friend.

"It's not that," you denied. "I just did the unwise deed of texting Ryuji late into the night. That boy needs to learn to sleep." You released another yawn. Akira softly chuckled.

"I'm kind of curious," Akira admitted. "Are you and Ryuji... well, you know... together?" You laughed, shaking your head.

"Everyone seems to think that, huh?" You sighed, shifting your weight a bit. "No, we're not dating. I transferred here last year, and I was practically terrified for my life. I thought I would be ignored by everyone and just be completely abandoned. I ended up in a pretty bad rut one day, and then Ryuji greeted me with one of the biggest smiles I've ever seen. He even invited me out to ramen just so I could cheer up. Thinking back on it now, he was probably just hitting on me, and he figured that trying to make me happy in that moment was the fastest way to my heart. Either way, we're best friends now, so I'm pretty thankful. Kinda cool how life just does that, huh?" Akira just nodded, fascinated by your small tale. The next train rolled into the station. The doors opened, allowing people to board. You grabbed Akira's hand, quickly dragging him on so you both could score a seat. Luckily, two free seats were open for the taking. You plopped down, Akira sitting next to you.

You talked with Akira, finding his quiet nature fun to ramble on to. He listened to every word you said intently, and it made you feel happier than ever. Yes, talking with Ryuji and Makoto was nice, but sometimes it's best just to be listened to than have someone constantly go back and forth or having a conversation turn into a minor lecture. Eventually, the train stopped in Aoyama-Itchome, and the two of you made it to school where you had to depart.

You sat in class, bored out of your mind. Time seemed to snail by as you listened to the teacher carry on with some lecture. However, a figure caught the corner of your eye. Your eyes widened, fear developing in your heart at the sight of Suzui, someone you knew to be a friend of Ann's climbing over the fence on the roof. You jump from your seat and burst out the classroom, startling your classmates and teacher. Many students started to come out of your classroom. You stared at the girl for a second, realizing there was no way you could make it to her in time with the stairs. You'd have to climb the building. Your eyebrows furrowed, and you slammed your elbow into the glass window. It cracked, and you did it twice more, causing the glass to shatter. You winced, the pain in your elbow growing prominent. You shook it off, and climbed out the window and up to the next floor. You flipped yourself up, not stopping until you hit the roof. You hustled along the edge of the roof, making sure you, yourself, didn't fall.

"Suzui!" you cried when you reached close enough for her to hear you. She turned to you, her lifeless eyes growing a small glimmer of worry.

"(L/n)-san?" she questioned. "Wh... What are you doing here?"

"I should be asking you that!" you returned, slowly reaching an arm out to her as you creeped forward. "What are you thinking? Committing suicide?" Suzui's eyes wavered. "Why would you ever think of doing that?" You were now almost close enough to touch her now. Her fists clenched, shaking as her eyes clouded over with fearful memories. Your face softened, and empathetic smile crossing over your lips. "You're scared, aren't you?" Suzui flinched. "Whatever you're scared of is bigger than your fear of death, huh? In fact, you think death is a way to escape your fear. Well, it's not." Her eyes grew tears, and you slowly reached for her hand, gripping it firmly. "Life can seem pretty scary, huh? All these bad things happen, and now something terrible is happening to you. I understand. I was in your position, once upon a time. But, before I could go through with it, someone stopped me. I'm so glad they did, too. I found a new life, with new friends, and even a new family. You have family, right? Who love you and care for you? You also have Ann, don't you? I know she will be so sad if you left." Tears streamed down her face, the look of regret crossing over her features. "Now, c'mon. Let's get down from here. It's super scary up here, yeah?"