Chapter 39... Announcement

It was cold but, thankfully, not raining—a rarity for late autumn on the Olympic Peninsula.

I was reclined in a chair on Sam's back deck, surveying the crowd. Sam had invited everyone over—the packs, the council, and even the Cullens—for a party. He had said there was going to be some kind of announcement. The imprints and other humans clung close to the bonfire, while the other wolves and the vampires mingled freely. They didn't feel the cold like the mortals did.

My wolf blood meant I was plenty warm. I rested my hand against my heavy pregnant stomach. It seemed like it was growing by the day and it was getting harder and harder to stay on my feet for extended periods of time. So, I was thankful for my chair, though I did feel a little left out, removed from the crowd. It was fine, though. I could see plenty from here. In the comfy chair, atop Sam's deck, felt a little like being on a throne.

The screen door on the house behind me creaked open and out waddled Emily. Though her due date wasn't for another couple of weeks, she looked ready to pop. She gently lowered herself into the chair next to me before finally reclining with a sigh.

"This is everything I wanted," Emily said, "but I can't wait for it to be over."

I gave a little laugh and nodded knowingly, patting my overly large stomach. I was months behind her, but I was almost as large as she was. "I know what you mean."

We both laughed.

"Despite the discomfort, I can't wait to meet her," Emily said.

I turned to look at her with wide eyes. "Her? You're having a girl?"

Emily went pink. "Oops," she mumbled. "I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. We've been keeping it a secret. We wanted it to be a surprise."

"Is that the announcement Sam wants to make tonight?" I turned back to the crowd, searching it for Sam. He was there, talking with Billy and Charlie, a big smile spread wide across his face. His missing arm was distinct. It had healed well, but he was still adjusting to the new reality of losing a limb. As a wolf, he was still struggling to run. Despite it all though, he strangely seemed happier than ever.

"Mmm," Emily said. "No, I don't think so."

I looked back at my cousin. The coy smile on her face told me she knew what the announcement was.

"More secrets, huh?" I said.

"Mmmhmm," Emily said, her smile widening. "This one I'm keeping."

I rolled my eyes and settled back into the chair. "Keep it, then. I'll find out soon enough."

"You will," Emily replied, then not-so-smoothly changed the subject. "Anyway, did you see? He's here."

My eyebrows raised. "Seriously?" I looked into the crowd, searching for him. I had been people-watching all night, how had I missed him?

And then I spotted him. Now I knew why I hadn't spotted him earlier. He was standing at the furthest edges of the crowd, half-hidden beneath the tree boughs of the surrounding forest. Judging by the scowl on his face, he wasn't pleased about the presence of the vampires.

Joshua Sr.

He was being kept company by his youngest son, Joel, though Joel didn't look as sour-faced as his father. In fact, it looked like he wanted to join the crowd. He eyed the vampires with curiosity, not hostility.

I made a mental note to tell Josh to take his little brother around and introduce him to everyone. Though as I caught sight of Josh, I could tell he was busy... He was flitting between groups in the crowd, making the rounds. After Sam had lost his arm, Josh had stepped up to help with some Alpha tasks while he healed.