Chapter 28... Secret

After spending the morning together, Josh drove me back into La Push. He was driving an old SUV on loan from Jacob, one of his many automotive projects. They apparently bonded over it, because on the drive Josh regaled me with all the things Jacob had done to it to get it in working order. I listened politely and nodded whenever he asked me a question he already knew the answer to. I didn't give a shit about cars but it was cute to watch him get so excited.

The car still needed work. Its heater didn't work and the chill of the storm from the night before lingered in the air, so Josh had loaned me one of his sweatshirts. Even if my werewolf heat kept me from getting truly cold, I was never going to refuse it. I wasn't going to give it back, either. It smelled like him and the scent was intoxicating. And it would serve as a reminder of what had happened between us, even if no one else could know.

We had decided to keep our relationship secret, at least for now. Josh had made the promise to Sam that I had refused to—to give Sam and Josh time to get to know each other before he pursued anything with me. Learning that pissed me off. Sam was such a hypocrite. I made a mental note to tell him exactly that when I saw him next. Well, after Josh and I went public.

My heart sunk as Josh turned onto my street as it meant our time together was coming to an end. He pulled over to the side of the road before he reached my house because we didn't want to risk being seen together. Not yet.

"We're here," Josh said, putting the car into park and turning it off. His voice reflected the same sadness I felt. "When can I see you again?"

That sent my heart fluttering again. "Tonight? I can come back to the cabin."

Josh's eyes brightened and he smiled, which made me smile, too. "That would be great. Do you want me to pick you up?"

I shook my head. "I'll run. I usually go for a run at night, so mom won't suspect anything. And it's not like I'll need clothes..." I gave him a wicked smile.

To my surprise, Josh's face fell. "Well, not that I'd object to that, but I'd like to make you dinner, too."

Dinner? He was going to make me dinner? God, he was so cute! I leaned across the seat to kiss him. "Dinner sounds great. I guess I'll bring some clothes then. This time."

He perked up again. "This time." He leaned down and met my lips.

Our kiss lasted longer than I intended. Before I realized it, I had crawled into his lap, my arms wrapped around his neck. It took all my strength to pull away. "Ugh, I should go before anyone sees us."

Josh looked sad again. "I know, I know. I hate being apart from you."

"Me too. But we'll be together soon." I gave him a careful peck, sure to pull away before the monster took over again.

"Soon," he agreed.

I opened the driver's side door—I was already on his lap, after all—and climbed off of him and out of the SUV, onto the road. He gave me a sad wave as he closed the door behind me and then started the SUV back up. I stepped back as he turned out, pulled a U-turn in the road, and drove away. I watched him as long as I could, until he went around the corner at the end of the street and out of sight.

I sighed. My heart ached when I was away from him. In ways, this was worse than when I wasn't sure what he was going to decide. I rubbed at my chest and pulled the sweater up to give it another smell, letting his scent remind me of the truth: he was mine and I would see him soon.

That gave me the strength to head the rest of the way up the road to my house. As I approached, I saw a familiar car in the driveway. Emily's old Toyota Camry was parked out front, alongside Mom's car.